2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Windows and Windshield Foggy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
epierce1389 is on a distinguished road
Default Windows and Windshield Foggy

Evening,

I have an 01 Blazer LS 4D 4.3L. The issue is as I drive the windows become so foggy it looks like I am hot boxing the thing. I turn the defroster on. It helps some on the windshield, but not on the windows. The rear window was so bad I could barley see out of it. There is no smell and nothing is wet on the passenger side. So I don't think its the heater core. Any suggestions or Is it just the weather?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Is your air supply for the HVAC stuck on recirculate? I.e. is it not taking in any air from outside?

My "climate controlled" HVAC system for which you can set the temperature, has two buttons for selecting outside air or for using air from inside the passenger compartment to circulate through the heater/ac. If yours has a similar control, be sure it is set to take in air from outside. Otherwise your exhalations will contribute moisture that will never get out and end up as condensation on the windows.

If you can't control the air inlet, it could also be a vacuum hose problem. In my 1999 blazer, the vacuum actuator for air inlet door is very accessible by opening up the glove compartment fully to let it hang down. It should be on the right. If necessary you might be able to manually set it to take in outside air.

I hope this is the case as this is much easier to fix than a leaky heater core that if leaking could introduce moisture into the passenger compartment.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Is your air supply for the HVAC stuck on recirculate? I.e. is it not taking in any air from outside?

My "climate controlled" HVAC system for which you can set the temperature, has two buttons for selecting outside air or for using air from inside the passenger compartment to circulate through the heater/ac. If yours has a similar control, be sure it is set to take in air from outside. Otherwise your exhalations will contribute moisture that will never get out and end up as condensation on the windows.

If you can't control the air inlet, it could also be a vacuum hose problem. In my 1999 blazer, the vacuum actuator for air inlet door is very accessible by opening up the glove compartment fully to let it hang down. It should be on the right. If necessary you might be able to manually set it to take in outside air.

I hope this is the case as this is much easier to fix than a leaky heater core that if leaking could introduce moisture into the passenger compartment.

Anyone have any other ideas?

^ This is what my climate control looks like. When I put it on the defroster it blows fast. I've moved it to the max ac before and it blows air fine. All settings seem to blow great hot or cold air. I'm sorry if I am bad at describing things. I am a sorta noob to blazers and cars in general. I did have the 4WD fixed in October.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran

No worries.

Hmm. I'd have to look at my manual for the this style of HVAC control. I think the "Max AC" is the one that sets the air to recirculate from inside rather than get the air from outside. So it is possible that the air inlet door is stuck in the wrong position.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member

No worries.

Hmm. I'd have to look at my manual for the this style of HVAC control. I think the "Max AC" is the one that sets the air to recirculate from inside rather than get the air from outside. So it is possible that the air inlet door is stuck in the wrong position.
Just checked the owners manual. "Max AC" is recirculates the air. How would I be able to tell if it is stuck in recirculate?

Old 12-13-2017, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by epierce1389
Just checked the owners manual. "Max AC" is recirculates the air. How would I be able to tell if it is stuck in recirculate?

Check out this link ans see if it applies to you: https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/5n5...-controls.html

Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 PM
BF Veteran

Also here is a link with a picture of the actuator on a 96 that might help: GMC Sonoma & Chevy S-10 Transfer Case Vacuum Switch

It is the second from the bottom. This looks about right for my blazer too.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member

Check out this link ans see if it applies to you: https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/5n5...-controls.html
Hmm. I looked and they are talking about some of the vents not working. All the vents work correctly in my blazer. I mean like i get a full blast when i get max ac, switch to defrost and still a full blast(from the windshield vent). It's only done this with the cold winter weather. It didn't have this issue till it got cold. Could it just be me breathing and heating up the blazer, to the point that its just because the inside the blazer is so hot and outside is so cold its creating the fog on the inside of the blazer? Could I just be turning the climate control on wrong?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 AM
BF Veteran

Yes, those links do not only discuss the air-inlet.

What you need to look at is the "Air Inlet Valve Vacuum Actuator" that selects from where that air that goes into the HVAC system is supplied; from inside or outside.

Check out these pictures from this site: GMC Sonoma & Chevy S-10 Transfer Case Vacuum Switch It is not exactly the same as for your truck but should be close enough to help you.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

You said that all outlets are working properly, so no hoses detached in the dashboard. At the MAX blower setting the vents should deliver quite a stream of air and it should change to the respective vents when changing the setting. Make sure that the ones on the sides of the dash get an o.k. flow as well. It should be felt easily when on a medium fan setting.

Use MAX heat not an intermediate or auto setting. Check if it gets warm within a couple minutes the engine is running. It should warm up rather quick, then it will take time to get up to temperature.

The windows being the coolest part in the car when you start it in winter, all moisture that is brought into the truck by your clothing, breathing will settle on the windows first.

Do you smoke in the truck? It will mess up your windows quicker than if not smoking.

Give them a really good cleaning. Use a window cleaner spray and once cleaned use a lint free and clean towel or microfibre cloth and wipe them a second time, this time dry. This will remove all residuals.

The tiny micro particles on a sheet of glass act as condensation cores for humidity. The difference can be quite important in winter time and may make the difference between all fogged up and only fogging up a little bit.

I usually take off my overcoat/jacket/parka and hang it on the hanger at the rear door. Use full heat after starting with a medium ventilation setting. Blowing too much air sometimes does not help if it is not warm enough.

Check the lateral outlets that air is directed to the lower part of the side windows. It will start to flow up (warm air) and defog the sides. The rear windows in the Blazers are notorious for staying fogged until it warms up really good, except if you have the rear middle console vents, they help the in the rear.

When really cold and you get frost I normally start the truck first, put the heat to MAX and to DEF with a low fan setting. Then start to dig the Blazer out of the snow or start removing the frost.

Last edited by error_401; 12-14-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Windows and Windshield Foggy