2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Windsheild wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question Windsheild wiper question

On my 98 Blazer I noticed the other day when I go to use the washers that the wiper will not stop after a certain number of wipes. My question is this a problem with turn signal, dimmer, washer & wiper switch on the column, or is the a timer relay located somewhere that is the issue?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
On my 98 Blazer I noticed the other day when I go to use the washers that the wiper will not stop after a certain number of wipes. My question is this a problem with turn signal, dimmer, washer & wiper switch on the column, or is the a timer relay located somewhere that is the issue?
Thanks in advance.
Very common problem. The wipers start acting like they have a mind of their own, lol. The problem is with the wiper control module. Its the circuit board on the firewall beside the wiper motor. You can get on Ebay and order a new one, or if your any good with a soldering iron you can try and fix it. There are a couple of solder joints that break and need to be re done.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks for your help. That has to be easier than replacing the wiper switch. Again thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Angry Another question

All I found was a pulse modulator that is part of the wiper motor. I got one from NAPA & when I installed it the wipers would never shut off they came on with just turning the key. So I pulled it back apart to find the circuit board was completely different. NAPA shows two different ones with different parts #s but the same price & pictures look the same but that really doesn't mean anything. So I ordered the other one. The one that was in there was packed with red grease. When I put back in the old one it went to working as before sometime it works & sometime it doesn't.
Can someone help me out here. Right now the wipers are stuck in the up position. Won't work at all. The fuse is good.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Thanks for your response but that is the exact board I tried & the wipers came on just turning the key to the on position with wiper switch in the OFF position. The wipers ran non stop no matter where the wiper switch was positioned. The board in my Blazer has more transistors Bottom line my board in the Blazer looks nothing like the board you posted the link to or the one I bought new from NAPA, except for the shape, the two contacts sticking up, & the electrical connector & they were the 1" as stated in the directions.
So I'm guessing there are two different boards. But I'm confused on this whole deal. One thing I did notice was there was a bunch of RED grease everywhere when I pulled the old board. I wiped as much as I could out. It covered the old board & contacts also. Di-Electric grease is white or clear from what I have ever seem. I have never heard of red Di-Electric grease. NAPA shows two different parts numbers for a 98 Blazer. I guess I will see when it comes in.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 05-01-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM

If you cant find the correct board you can repair the old one by re soldering the failed joints. Clean with acetone (nail polish remover) after removing the old solder.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tech Article (DIY) Section to the rescue!
Fix for cold solders in the Wiper Motor

Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM

OK, I guess I will try that. The circuit boards shown in both pictures of both links look just like mine, unlike all the replacement boards I'm seeing. I picked up the other board this morning & it has a different parts # but looks the same as the first one. So not only am I confused but so are the guys & gals at NAPA. All the people there have years of parts experience. I have a friend that worked for a Chevy dealership & I'm going to ask him what he knows. I'll post the final deal, being I repair the old one or replace it.
I have had more little stuff need fixing on this 98 Blazer than my 97 Blazer ever needed. I know 98 was a change over year for a lot of stuff. Was 1998 a problem year more than others? Or was I just lucky with my 97 Blazer. It had its issues but nothing like the 98. I really like the way the 98 drives & performs over the 97. I love the 4 wheel disc brakes even though I have an ABS light that is like my wipers, It comes on & goes off like it has a mind of its own. I changed a front hub & bearing with a new sensor that helped but now I guess the other side needs to be changed.
Anyway, I'll get it fixed to my satisfaction & will drive it & keep it. My wife & I have owned tons of vehicles in our lives. But the Blazer is the only vehicle we have bought two of because we really liked them. We owned 88,90,92,94 Ranger 4x4s but never liked them like the Blazer. Non of them got the gas mileage of the Blazers. We both love these trucks after I sold the 97 Blazer we missed it, & the wife said go buy another one. I might buy another one just to have so when I wear this one out we'll have another one.
Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 05-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM

I had the problem with my 97. Bought a replacement off Ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Factory-GM-Wi...item53eb190939

Quick Reply: Windsheild wiper question