2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

00' 2dr- Cooling System replacement- need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Beginning Member
Boats is on a distinguished road
Default 00' 2dr- Cooling System replacement- need advice!

I have been nursing a leak on the top driver side (at the hose) of the radiator for a while now. The water pump finally went and I have that rust colored stop leak crap in everything. I am replacing te entire system (bypassing heater core for now).

I have read the threads of many who have gone before me on this subject. Armed with that knowledge and a desire to keep my ride healthy without breaking the bank, this is where I am.

Radiator-

http://bit.ly/1blbWDW

Fans-

http://bit.ly/14XBrnJ

Controller ? I haven't purchased this yet. Is there a little less expensive option that works well?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/flx-31165 (Says it doesn't come with a relay.)

Looking for some guidance from you Uber Gurus to make sure I am on the right track. I want to do this once and get it right. Someday, I want to slip an 8 in here, so I figured I would capitalize on this misfortune.

Thanks for taking the time!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member

Cricket... Cricket....

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

is your 2 door a manual? the radiator you have picked doesnt have a tranny 'warmer'. unless it is, or you are planning on using an aftermarket one, that radiator wont work.
i think that there are cheaper controllers out there. there are some people who have done an e-fan swap and they will chime in shortly.
BTW, the cricket thing...funny....i like that $h!t

Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member

Yup.... It's manual, all manual. (Though the new factory power everythhing body fram and dash harness is in the garage waiting for the time and money fairy to pay a visit to my house!!)

All of my purchased parts shipped today. Starting the disassembly tonight!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Beginning Member

Update- already received the dual fans, water pump and reserve tank. Waiting on the Radiator. Started some disassembly. Bought new hoses and pieces to bypass heater core. Still haven't purchased the controller. Was hoping for some of the technical feedback I have seen on so many posts with a few pros/cons. The controller I posted says it doesn't come with a relay. However they have a $99 dollar one that does.

I am really out of my element/comfort zone when it comes to electrical so any advice is appreciated! (I already plan on having a mech help me with the actual install)

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you have a mechanic helping with the install you should be fine, assuming he actually knows what he's doing that is.

It doesn't actually say you need a relay, but even if you did, I'd be confused as to where to put it. You can't put it between the controller and fans due to the fact that it is probably either A. PWM controlled, and therefore a relay couldn't keep up, or B. Variable voltage, and therefore a relay would send the full 12v regardless of the signal. And putting it between the batt. and the controller wouldn't make any sense either.

So I'm willing to bet you don't need a relay at all, but keep in mind, while I am more experienced in electronics than a lot of people, I have no experience with this particular product.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 AM
AfterBurn99 is on a distinguished road

I'll toss my hat in here. While I have a 1990 K5, I'd imagine the same would apply here.

Your fans will need a relay and an inline fuse between battery 12v and the relay/fan.

Either way, you are going to have to make sure your fan is also hooked up to your AC compressor so that it definitely kicks on despite the temp switch reading when the ac is on.

Here is what I used on my 90 K5 for an aux fan for the AC (since I converted it to R134a

Compressor Works/Radiator Fan Assembly (733680) | AutoZone.com

and

Compressor Works/Cooling Fan Control (733647) | AutoZone.com

Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM
spittybays

One question about the heater core, is it leaking or you think its just gummed up from stop leak?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
One question about the heater core, is it leaking or you think its just gummed up from stop leak?
I believe it leaked into the passenger side floor board. I haven't had heat since 2009. But took it with me to Bahrain for a year. Wasn't real concerned about not having heat. While I was there I went through my second set of motor mounts while under power and the motor jumped. The fan hit the hood and destroyed the shroud. I replaced them with urethane and replaced the shroud. I think that was the beginning of the current issue.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

The guy at advanced auto said the stop leak wouldn't affect any of the internals.... My overflow is brown. My radiator is brown inside, and that stuff has coated the drivers side top to bottom.

Oops on the double post.

Last edited by Boats; 09-19-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 00' 2dr- Cooling System replacement- need advice!