2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 4x4 clunking in 4hi passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:00 AM
White01blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 01 4x4 clunking in 4hi passenger side

Hey all, been doing some searching around the web and am having trouble finding an answer. I have had issues woth 4wd in the past and taken it into have vacuum hoses replaced that were dry rotted and cracked. Since then I get a clunking sound coming from the passenger side front every so many cycles it seems. My assumption is a cv axle. The blazer had sat for a while as I used it only to take my mother to her doctor appointments every 6 months, then after she passed away it sat for a couple years. Has roughly 108xxx miles on it. I just wanted to get more opinions before i just buy a cv axle and find out that was’t the culprit. Thanks in advance and apologies if it is a repeat thread, but with as much research as I have tried I have been unable to find a good answer, or a similar question for that matter.

It only clunks in 4wd, 2wd is nice n quiet...

I also have an ABS light on and ABS is not working. That came on after the clunking though.

Would like to get it sorted out before it gets too cold.

Last edited by White01blazer; 10-29-2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: left out information
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by White01blazer
Hey all, been doing some searching around the web and am having trouble finding an answer. I have had issues woth 4wd in the past and taken it into have vacuum hoses replaced that were dry rotted and cracked. Since then I get a clunking sound coming from the passenger side front every so many cycles it seems. My assumption is a cv axle. The blazer had sat for a while as I used it only to take my mother to her doctor appointments every 6 months, then after she passed away it sat for a couple years. Has roughly 108xxx miles on it. I just wanted to get more opinions before i just buy a cv axle and find out that was’t the culprit. Thanks in advance and apologies if it is a repeat thread, but with as much research as I have tried I have been unable to find a good answer, or a similar question for that matter.

It only clunks in 4wd, 2wd is nice n quiet...

I also have an ABS light on and ABS is not working. That came on after the clunking though.

Would like to get it sorted out before it gets too cold.
Is your front axle locking in? Trying to lock in could be the noise. Put in 4WD, trans in neutral, and keep engine running. Jack up right front wheel (only). Can you easily turn the wheel by hand?

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-29-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Is your front axle locking in? Trying to lock in could be the noise. Put in 4WD, trans in neutral, and keep engine running. Jack up right front wheel (only). Can you turn the wheel by hand?

I will try that either later or tomorrow, I have to go to work shortly. My original thought was it was trying to lock in but couldn’t. If it isn’t locking in, what is the fix for that?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:06 AM

I will try that either later or tomorrow, I have to go to work shortly. My original thought was it was trying to lock in but couldn’t. If it isn’t locking in, what is the fix for that?

There is a vacuum operated actuator under the battery that moves a cable which locks the front axle in. If not locking in, it could be vacuum supply, vacuum switch, hoses leaking, actuator leaking, or the locking mechanism itself. Just do the test I asked for exactly as written and report. We will help guide you to finish the diagnosis if this is the problem. Ask any specific questions that you may have.

Here's some reading for you. Problem described here is really opposite of what you describe, but its the same mechanism that I'm talking about.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...4hi-4lo-41226/

Maybe things are just sticky from sitting and might just loosen up if you can get them to work once. Worst case would be the locking mechanism itself.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-29-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Is your front axle locking in? Trying to lock in could be the noise. Put in 4WD, trans in neutral, and keep engine running. Jack up right front wheel (only). Can you easily turn the wheel by hand?
i got ‘er in the garage this morning and did what you said, it spun just a tad, but did not go very far, tried with driver’s side as well and got the same.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:21 AM

i got ‘er in the garage this morning and did what you said, it spun just a tad, but did not go very far, tried with driver’s side as well and got the same.
Sounds like it is locked in. What I described does not appear to be your problem. Does your noise only happen when turning, or does it do it when you are going straight as well?

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-31-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:37 AM

Happens going straight as well

Old 10-31-2018, 02:36 PM

Happens going straight as well
Maybe it's a wheel bearing? Wheel bearing has the ABS sensor in it. Could be more than coincidence. Honestly I'm just guessing at this point.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:17 PM

Maybe it's a wheel bearing? Wheel bearing has the ABS sensor in it. Could be more than coincidence. Honestly I'm just guessing at this point.
wouldn’t the clunking happen in 2hi as well though if it were the wheel bearing? Wheel bearing is new acdelco a year ago as well. Old one was a hummin lol

Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I don't think that buying a new axle will solve the problem You have. On 4WD the front axles are engaged to the transfer case shaft, while on 2WD they aren't. The axle is hard linked to the wheel, so the cv joint moves constantly, no matter it is 2WD or 4WD. I suspect there is rather something wrong with Your front differential. When it locks on, it transfers the motion from the transfer case shaft to the axles and gives you that clunking sound. When You disengage, the axles are uncoupled from the transfer case shaft and the sound disappears... Did You check the oil level or the axle seals for leaks?

Quick Reply: 01 4x4 clunking in 4hi passenger side