2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 Blazer electrical gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011 | 11:09 PM
|
Beginning Member
tmoble is on a distinguished road
Default 01 Blazer electrical gremlins?

Right after I had the battery replaced a couple months ago the ABS and regular brake warning lights started coming on randomly. They come on together and go off together. The master cylinder is full. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the brakes, they work fine and the ABS works even when the light is on. Tried it on a dirt road.

Possibly related is the fact that the SES was coming on and going off randomly. No codes present.

This week I started having trouble with no start, the starter wouldn't do a thing. Based on advice I found here I replaced the ignition switch, seemed to help initially but went back to the no crank deal again. Today I replaced the starter and the start problem seems to be fixed.

But still getting the two brake lights coming on. and going off.

any ideas?

on a side note replacing the ignition switch instantly cured the erratic fuel gauge that hasn't worked right since we owned, about 2.5 years. Also apparently cured in the SES random deal.

Old 02-23-2011 | 11:26 AM
|
Beginning Member
tmoble is on a distinguished road

anybody?

Old 02-23-2011 | 12:47 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Have it scanned for the possibility of brake codes and they won't be found with a scanner that only does SES lights...Jerry PS they also may not be found even with the proper scan tool if they are intermittent and don't leave a 'hard code'. Good luck

Old 03-12-2011 | 10:14 AM
ricks is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem with the ABS and brake service lights coming on intermittently. Using a loaner Innova OBD II code reader from O'Reilly Auto Parts, I retrieved the code C0265. (By the way, I had to scroll down to an ABS submenu to read the ABS code, not part of the initial code read.) I am now attempting to remove the C1 connector per the factory service manual to check voltages and contacts. Broke off the little red latch on the connector, can't get the connector off. Hope somebody submits a definite solution.

Old 04-14-2011 | 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
C210M is on a distinguished road
Default ABS and Brake lights are on

Okay, I have read on the forum somewhere that I need to have the ABS module codes read. I went to a Chevrolet dealer and they read the code C0265 for $69.95. They said this indicates internal pump failure. I need to replace the EBCM. Their estimate is $1,120.00. I found a company online that will repair the module for $130.00. Anybody know anything about this type of repair? The documentation on this service describes removing the module from the hydraulic control unit and shipping it to the company. It sounds like the repair they perform is electrical, will that address the pump failure. Also is the dealer's interpretation of this code accurate?

Old 04-14-2011 | 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try running a search for C0265 and you should find more than enough information.

If the problem is the EBCM, it can be removed and repaired providing that the remanufacturer can service your model EBCM.

Old 04-14-2011 | 08:30 PM
Beginning Member

I am suprised to think that when you pay a Chevy dealer to diagnose an issue that they would quote a price to replace the EBCM even though that may not be the problem. Isn't part of diagnosing the issue to check ground connections and other possibilities. A couple of other parts to this puzzle is I recently had to have a left front wheel hub replaced. It was about 4 weeks before thiis issue started. I ran out of gas, I put gas in the truck, when I started it everything seemed normal. I drove about ten minutes to the gas station and filled up. When I started the truck the ABS and Brake lights came on for the first time. I drove home about 5 minutes and restarted the truck and the lights did not come on. They have come on fairly consistently about every 5-10 starts. After having the diagnosis now the lights come on after every start. Any ideas, I will check connections as I have read about. Thanks

Last edited by C210M; 04-14-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: grammer, spelling
Old 04-14-2011 | 08:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

But did they actually do anything more than read the code? Maybe, maybe not. Did you ask them if they were certain that it was the EBCM? Or what tests they did to confirm that it was the EBCM? There is no possible way that we would know what they tested and what they did not.

Old 04-14-2011 | 08:43 PM
Beginning Member

Good point, I did not but I will be on the phone tomorrow with them. Thanks

Old 04-15-2011 | 01:20 PM
Beginning Member

Talked to the Dealer again, they assure me that they did check all the areas that you listed on your post. They said that they are able to command the pump with the scan tool that they use and they could not get the pump to activate. I mentioned that it is intermittent and he said that it is electrical and when you turn the key off and on it may activate.
I did not see a conclusive answer regarding rebuilding the EBCM, removal of the electronic component, sent to the company leaving the hydraulic unit on the vehicle. I asked the dealer about this and he said you must send the entire unit because if fluid is leaking into the electronics it could cause this problem. Does any of that make any sense.
Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: 01 Blazer electrical gremlins?