2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 blazer starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
spiderx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey again. I finally got my muffler in on Saturday. I got everything installed today on the truck. Tried to start it 2x's and nothing at first. Smell of raw gas continued. Then as I was about to give up for the night I tired it one last time VROOOM! and it started.
I let the truck sit at idle for at least 10-15 mins. being it wasnt started in over 1.5-2 weeks.

I shut the truck off and hooked the fuel pressure tester up again. This time the first 2 seconds the fuel pump came on there was a reading of 62 lbs. I tried starting the truck again and it did start. I left it idle for 2-3 mins while watching the gauge. The gauge read 53lbs. at idle.
I shut the truck off and after 3 minutes the fuel pressure climbed to 62lbs. and stayed there for 10-12 mins. It then dropped off to 60lbs. I released the pressure via the valve on the gauge after that time period.
I tried to start the truck again and it started. I waited a bit and tried it again and this time it gave a bit of a hesitation and it then cough and hacked a tiny bit and one back fired thru the carb. But it did start. I shut it off. Tried again. Was a bit rough and hesitant but not bad at all.
So I took it for a 1-2 mile test ride. Didnt want to break down anywhere this late at night 9:30 pm edt.
I came back and shut it off. Tired to start and it started right up.
So Im back to more observation of what is going to happen with it now.
Anyone have any other ideas?
With those idle readings the FPR is working correctly correct?

What else could it possibly be?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Beginning Member
spiderx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Video

Well after the muffler install the truck started fairly decent. I got some trouble with a cough or put now and then but all was ok UNTIL yesterday Sunday 9-13-09.

I left the truck sit for a couple days as I didnt need to use it. I went to use it yesterday and it wouldnt start. It cranked and cranked, This time I didnt pump the pedal and didnt smell and raw fuel. It wanted to start and would put and bit after you turned the key off. But it would start.
So I then tried pumping the gas pedal and the smell of raw gas was there.

So I decided to ask someone to keep trying to start the truck while I video it. As they were trying to get it started they too left the gas pedal alone but started pumping it when they felt it was going to start.

You will notice the dead spot I have been talking about previously on start up in the video. Its happening more yesterday. You will see the gear drive lights go out when it happens. A bit of slight coughing when its trying to start as well.

I also noticed when I had the truck out while driving down the road here in town at a speed of 35 mph tops that the truck wanted to die out for a split second and then regained its power. This happened once on the way down a long hill and then back up the long incline (center street).

I also pulled the coil wire off and had someone try to start it and the spark there is strong.

Video Link
http://www.vidiLife.com/index.cfm?f=...B8-45E3-80E8-E

Last edited by spiderx; 09-14-2009 at 03:21 PM.