2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 blazer starts the dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member
linje is on a distinguished road
Default 01 blazer starts the dies

hey guys, im hoping someone could help with this problem im having.
i have a 2001 blazer thats starts (albeit a little hesitant), but only runs
for a few seconds and then dies. ive checked fuel pressure (60psi key on and 55 or so running). dash lights work fine, and security light only flashes for a few seconds then goes out.check engine light is no on. it started doing this about once a week,now its everytime it is started.
any ideas on where to start looking.

thank you

Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

does it choke out slowly or just give up and die?

oh BTW welcome to the forum...

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-18-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member

no chocking ,its just dies.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know I sound like a broken record every time I suggest this, but it is just such a common failure. The ignition switch can cause this exact problem.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Beginning Member

ok, thank you.i appreciate your time,i get it replaced.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Beginning Member

ok replaced the ignition switch,still does the same thing.but now my brake light and abs lights are on,dont recall that before.could the brake system have something to do with this?brakes were put on all the way around last year.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

The ABS and Brake lights lighting up on the 2001's is very common. There are several people on the forums with the lights on. Could be the ABS module causing the lights to come on. As far as the dieing after start up, I can't really help.

Check out THIS thread for info on the ABS and Brake lights.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the link okvortec ill read up on it.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

could this possibly be a fuel pump? ive read that they are picky on the pressures, and that some pressure gauges might not be exact. is it possible for the gauge to read normal pressure ,but still be to low for the truck to operate?
also if i replace the fuel pump, is ther anything else i should replace since the tank will be down?
where do you recommend buying the fuel pump?

Last edited by linje; 05-21-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: extra info needed
Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your fuel pressure looks spot on.

I am wondering if you were not one tooth off with the ignition switch when you installed it. That can cause both the problem you were initially experiencing and the ABS/Brake lights being on.

Quick Reply: 01 blazer starts the dies