2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

02 Blazer, misfire problem p0301.. need your help bad, dumped way to much money

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member
Craig84 is on a distinguished road
Default 02 Blazer, misfire problem p0301.. need your help bad, dumped way to much money

ok so, my blazer has been rapeing my wallet since i bought it.
I've replaced spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, air filter, fuel filter, asending unit.
I've used SeaFoam.
Fuel Pressure test was normal.

I really don't wanna hear that the injectors are bad, but I think that's the only thing left.

I have a p0301 code(misfire cylinder 1), and I did have a p0401(insufficient EGR flow) but I don't think it's there anymore last I checked.

when I'm driving the check engine light is solid till about 30mph, then anything higher it starts flashing.

I would really just like to hear any other Ideas that aren't the injectors, they're so damn expensive..

Well I appreciate any advice or help, getting 11mpg is killing me. this car is a huge headache

PS. I have a scan tool now if any additional info might help someone.

Edit: my model doesn't have an EGR valve

Last edited by Craig84; 09-08-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:29 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

What brand plugs, cap & rotor did you use? AC DELCO are about all that work 100% on these Blazers. They are funny about these items.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
Craig84 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice, but I really don't see that as an issue. any other ideas? could a MAP sensor be a hidden gem in this problem? I took it out to find it gunked up and with a small tear in the gasket. I'll probably steal one from the junk yard tomorrow lol

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

A clogged converter could cause misfire code along with EGR code... mine just did in my 95 anyway

Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

"but I really don't see that as an issue" Those are your famous last words, I installed a new Champion cap on mine just because it needed a new cap and the new cap made my truck misfire on #1 cylinder, installed AC Delco cap and misfire was gone!

I suggest you stop throwing parts on it and Diagnose the misfire better, First off figure out if it is on the ignition or fuel side this is where a fuel gauge and scanner would come in handy so you can trigger the injector, or a clip on style spark tester so you can watch the spark, it can be time consuming but time is cheaper then new parts

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jase1979
"but I really don't see that as an issue" Those are your famous last words, I installed a new Champion cap on mine just because it needed a new cap and the new cap made my truck misfire on #1 cylinder, installed AC Delco cap and misfire was gone!

I suggest you stop throwing parts on it and Diagnose the misfire better, First off figure out if it is on the ignition or fuel side this is where a fuel gauge and scanner would come in handy so you can trigger the injector, or a clip on style spark tester so you can watch the spark, it can be time consuming but time is cheaper then new parts
Could not have said it better. These trucks are picky, extremely picky with what parts you put into it. You may think it does not matter, but it really does.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Cheers to Jase Delco all the way !

Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Beginning Member
georgew8714 is on a distinguished road

Reading this thread might be helpful " 99 4.3 p0300 after overheat rebuild
, I know its long but there is some good tests you could run to narrow down your issue. I had the same issue of the light flashing at around 30 mph . You may not want to pay for the fuel injectors but how much money do you want to spend chasing . just keep testing you will find it .

Last edited by georgew8714; 09-07-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks Jase for your post. When people do that let them throw parts at it is my feeling. The next time this guy asks for help I'll pass. Because I must not know. Your 100% right these trucks can be very picky. I waited an extra day to get a Delphi fuel pressure regulator because I didn't want to change it again.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
viper1ex19 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Melrock83
A clogged converter could cause misfire code along with EGR code... mine just did in my 95 anyway
My thoughts exactly.

I had the same issue and after replacing the Cat and Cleaning the EGR, the problem went away.

Quick Reply: 02 Blazer, misfire problem p0301.. need your help bad, dumped way to much money