2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

03 Blazer, ABS and Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member
ChevyHead is on a distinguished road
Default 03 Blazer, ABS and Brake light issue

Hi guys! It's great to be back in a Chevy!

My issue is as follows:

I recently replaced my front hubs/ABS sensors after my CEL came on. I had it checked at Advance Auto. Tech said the code was for a faulty front driver's side speed sensor. At the time, my ABS light was always on, and my red Brake light would come on and off, seemingly at random.

I bought the Moog hubs for both front sides and replaced them. After reconnecting my battery, ALL lights were off, and my CEL hasn't returned. However, occasionally, and seemingly at random, my ABS and red Brake light come on for a while, then turn off for a while. My pads, rotors, and calipers are in excellent condition. When the lights come on, my braking system isn't affected in performance at all.

My question is, why are those lights randomly, while driving or at start up, coming on and off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

one simple thing to check is your brake fluid. on some cars the brake light and abs light come on together. so if the fluid is low might be coming on everytime you come to a quick stop

Old 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
ChevyHead is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. I changed my passenger side front brake hose the day after I changed the hubs. I bled the caliper after filling the booster to full. I'm losing brake fluid somewhere, a little at a time. I believe my driver's side hose needs replaced too.

One issue I found that I didn't like was the two copper crush washers on my pass. side hose block were mashed together underneath the block. I was getting a small leak from there, thinking my hose was broken during the hub swap. I installed the new crush washers in the same way, and still got a leak from there, so I walked over to my buddy's garage and asked him what proper installation of those crush washers was. He confirmed that there should be one between the bolt and the block, and one between the caliper and the block.

I changed the washers to that configuration, and now, my caliper and hose block on the passenger side aren't leaking at all. Time to check that driver's side.......

My 2003 Blazer is new to me. I bought it a couple weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It was a one-owner, well maintained truck. Old guy had a brake job done to it recently, so I blame whoever did the job for stacking those two copper crush washers together. Is that standard practice on a Chevy? I've read a lot of guys' opinions that it is the right way to do that. I am not one of those guys....

Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

The ABS module is known to have bad solder points, which can cause the ABS and brake lights to come on. Worth looking into as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jamaroon
The ABS module is known to have bad solder points, which can cause the ABS and brake lights to come on. Worth looking into as well.

This!!

Try cleaning the ABS ground wire under the airbox too....

never thought about fluid level...