2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 4.3 V6~Engine has almost no power

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
reddog1990m is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 4.3 V6~Engine has almost no power

It starts fine, idles quite low, and when i give it all its got while driving, the rpms climb as if I was hardly giving it gas. Won't really get to anything above 40 mph.

I replaced the fuel injector spider and manifold gasket along with plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and fuel filter.

I also took off and cleaned the egr valve.

Anyone know the likely culprit for this. The CES light is not on at this point, but the codes were just cleared.

Any help would be great!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

replace your catalytic converter and see what happens

Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM

I also wanted to add that before i replaced the spider and everything else (did it all the past 2 days) it was running very rough (obviously) but it still revved up just fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds almost like the transmission isn't shifting or is slipping.

A clogged cat would limit RPM.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:31 PM

I was thinking a vacuum leak? Would the trans cause it to rev up extremely slow like it is?

Also, there's a small hose on the back of the plenum that leads over to the driver side. Mine is all deteriorated and was actually disconnected when i was looking under the hood. What is this hose?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This hose feeds the vacuum powered accessories such as the HVAC and 4wd systems. The hose should run to a check valve which is also a 'T'. The line from the check valve T should run to the HVAC system. If you have 4wd, then there will be another T which will go to the 4wd system and then to the vacuum reservoir located in the driver side fender.

A vacuum leak would typically cause a high idle.

I wasn't ruling out a catalytic converter problem, rather, I was giving other signs of what a catalytic converter failure would cause. If you are moving down the road in 2nd gear as fast as it would go, then shift down to 1st gear manually, will it rev up to near red line or will it faulter down in RPM?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM

Ok, today I checked the compression. They were all 155-170. Trying to round up a fuel pressure gauge without having to spend the $60 that the parts store wants. My cat is welded on both sides, and way of determining if the cat is the problem?

Side note. Since I got my car it hasn't been able to hold coolant in the overflow tank. I haven't ever had it over heat on me though. The fact that it has never over heated and the compression seems to be fine seems to rule out a cracked head/gasket right? My dad and I are at a loss.
__________________________________________________ __________________________
OK, so we checked fuel pressure. Terrible. Gonna replace the fuel pump hopefully this will fix the problem. My only question is, how would I know if I need to replace the fuel sending unit along with the pump?

Last edited by rriddle3; 05-08-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member
beatleb95 is on a distinguished road
Default hello

If your sending looks like it has been through salt ville then i would think about replace it unless you can clean it up and repaint it with some 96 cents paint from your local shopping giant (WM)

Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

You sad you checked your fuel pressure and it was terrible,(Give Results next time it is easier to diagnosis) If it was from 55 to 60 it is fine and if not you have to buy a complete assembly and it is about three hundred dollars. It comes as a pump and float assembly you can not get them separately,so I would make sure it is a pump. I would check the catalytic Converter.

If it is not blowing out white smoke out the tail pipe or your oil does not look like mayonnaise your head gasket is OK. Your compression is not to bad. Do not ever clean and paint a part that goes into your fuel tank. (beatleb95)

I have a 2003 Blazer and a 2000 GMC Jimmy and my coolant disappears from my coolant bottle also and the vehicles are fine. Just keep a eye on it and worry about the running problem.

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-09-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by R134A
I have a 2003 Blazer and a 2000 GMC Jimmy and my coolant disappears from my coolant bottle also and the vehicles are fine. Just keep a eye on it and worry about the running problem.
Your intake gaskets are bad, Thats not really ok.

I was thinking your no power problem could be your MAP sensor, I had a 99 1 time with a bad MAP and i could not get it to go up a hill past 40, 1/4 pedal vs floored there was no rpm change. hope you figure it out

Quick Reply: 1995 4.3 V6~Engine has almost no power