2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 4.3 vortec 4x4 Blazer distributor issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 AM
jking is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 4.3 vortec 4x4 Blazer distributor issues

I recently traded for a non running 1995 4x4 blazer. Being the shade tree mechanic i had replaced every possible component before finding the distributor was loose and the teeth on the drive gear was trash. I replaced the distributor with the exact match with horizontal cap. With the horizontal cap i cannot place the distributor in the proper position because the #3 plug hits the back of the plenum. Is it possible the distributor should have a verticle cap and if so can i just replace the cap and wires and be good to go? Also the new replacement match up was actually a 1996 model. I also see there is no adjustment after you get it timed on TDC but if i can't get the distributor in the proper position can i use the timeing light or is there something inside that knows where it is tightened down? Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

HEI and EDI distributor caps are not interchangable. If #3 plug tower is hitting the plenum, the distributor housing is not installed correctly. The flat spot on the distributor housing needs to be paralell with the plenum. The hold down is keyed so the distributor housing will be installed correctly. Timing lights are obsolete tools on this engine. Ignition timing is not adjustable, not even "base time". When the engine is running, if the check engine light remains off, the distributor is installed correctly. If the check engine light comes on, and P1345 is set in memory, the distributor is off at least one tooth. After the distributor is installed, (correctly) camshaft retard must be checked and adjusted with a capable scan tool. The adjustment correctly aligns the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft. The adjustment is done by slightly rotating the distributor.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 AM

The key i assume is the pin protruding from the motor about 10 o'clock facing the motor? If so this is where i run into the issue. I can install properly on the pin but the flat side of the dist is not parallel to plenum and cap cannot be installed. I can remove the guide, install where it is straight and timed on #1 tdc and it will run but not right. Loss of power and backfires around 2k rpm. Should i get this far then take it to someone who can scan it?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Default 1995 blazer distributor issues

Found out today the motor had the 1996 4.3 distributor which is what they gave me when i purchased the new one. Come to find out they are identical with the exception of the allignment bracket. There is just enough difference that if installed properly the cap will not bolt up. I have the 1995 ordered and will hopefully plug and play. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Got the correct distributor installed tonight. Fired right up but had full tank while playing with the wrong distributor and now on E. Is it possible i flooded it to the oil or do i have a leak in the fuel supply to the injector system which is new?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Dipstick shows way over filled now. Have a flashing engine light but don't have my scan tool at the time to get the code.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Flashing check engine light means there's a misfire going on. That might be what causing the oil level to rise.

Check fuel pressure and leakdown. Fuel in the oil will destroy the bearings in the engine. Find and fix the fuel leak and misfire, and change the oil & filter. Post your results.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Captain, you know your stuff! After installing the correct distributor i pulled the plenum. Turned the key on and found both fuel lines cracked pouring gas into the intake. Replaced them and it runs like new. I also found NAPA is the bomb for getting the correct parts you need. Thanks for your help guys!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Thanks! Glad you found the problem. Thanks for posting back!

FYI: 95 used 3 different computer systems. Early 95 production had HEI ignition, (verticle plug wire towers on the cap) and used the same distributor housing as 94 and earlier "W" engines. Mid and late production 95 and newer "W" & "X" engines use an OBDII EDI distributor, (horizontal plug wire towers on the cap). The parts stores should know that

Old 12-28-2017, 02:31 AM
02Blazerboy is on a distinguished road

How about using a 95 jimmy dizzy cap an rotor on a 02 blazer ? Is it possible or a waste it time

Quick Reply: 1995 4.3 vortec 4x4 Blazer distributor issues