2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Blazer Fuel Pump went out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM
PseudoKirby is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Blazer Fuel Pump went out?

ok, so yesterday we were driving it and it just started dying, the car threw a fit and the tachometer went schitzo, the car coasted to a stop and then I tried to start it and it wouldnt, it would just crank over and over, but about 2 minutes later it started and ran... for about 30 seconds, went about 100 feet and it died again, only to not start at all for the rest of the day...

about 4 hours later after the tow truck brought it home, I sprayed starter fluid in it and it would start and run for 2 seconds... so it wasnt getting any fuel.... I did about 5 tries with starter fluid to see if that would get things flowing and it wouldnt do it.. I let it rest...

throughout this time we couldnt hear the fuel pump, so I went to by a new fuel pump and filter... another $100 into this car...

came back later that night to roll the windows up and just tried to start it for whatever and it started and ran just fine..... for about 10 minutes, drove it around for a bit around town and it finally started dying

SAME STORY TODAY, started it up this morning and it kicked on, and after about 20 minutes of quick driving around it bogged down and died.. and then it had trouble starting, it wont idle smoothly and it doesnt want to run... then after a couple starts it wont start at alll, and you cant hear the fuel pump again

can the fuel pump just be going intermittently with everything? when its running right or even trying to start you CAN hear the fuel pump, but when it wont start at all and only crank you cant hear it, what am I dealing with? I cant afford to be putting this much money into this car so freaking quickly, a couple days ago I had to buy a new starter and then a couple days before that went out I had just put a new CPI in it.... why cant it run good for just a little bit...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

Either your fuel pump is going bad, slowly but surely.... or you have some type of short in the plugs/electronics connected to the pump. I would clean all of your connections and check for any loose grounds, cracked/split wires, etc. If you find a problem electrically, fix it and then go from there. If it DOESN'T fix it then I would invest in a fuel pressure gauge (usually rentable from auto parts stores as well), run the test when the truck runs as well when it won't. Again, go from there...

Also, a member: Swartllk actually has an amazing write up of diagnosing fuel pump problems in his sig.

EDIT: heres a link for cheap fuel pumps for our truck, it's the one I have on mine and no troubles as of yet. http://www.am-autoparts.com/Chevy/Bl...aign=NexTagNew

Last edited by shotnva777; 09-22-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM

yea I already bought the fuel pump because of how it is

but basically the car will run perfectly fine for about 20 minutes total, but will then bog down and die and if we let it cool down then start it back up it has no problems and will run again for about 20 minutes then die, this is regardless of how I drive the vehicle it seems, next I will try for just idle..
when it wont start but just crank it will run for a second if I spray starter fluid in it...

does this sound like a week fuel pump? because I would love to return this $100 fuel pump if it is something else, but if I take the hours to replace it and it doesnt fix it I am out $100..

Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

doing this can tell you if you have a weak pump

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-23038/

We do suggest you dont use after market pumps since they dont last long and make the truck run horrible we suggest you use delco or delphi

Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 PM

this vehicle was just in for service at a chevrolet dealer two weeks ago and all pressures tested good, and the fuel trims were good, they had just installed a new CPI injector and with that came a new Fuel pressure regulator, I dont know how this week I could just come up with all these problems, but I will read that guide and try to diagnose..

Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

Are you putting the intake back on the throttle body after you spray the starter fluid in it? I made this mistake! It has to be back on or the maf sensor wont read.

Spray the starter fluid directly in the throttle body, put the intake back on AND then crank it.... see where it gets you.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member
Blaze14 is on a distinguished road

i am having this EXACT same problem with my blazer. is buying an aftermarket pump not even worth it?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
We do suggest you dont use after market pumps since they dont last long and make the truck run horrible we suggest you use delco or delphi

^^^^^^

Old 09-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by shotnva777
Are you putting the intake back on the throttle body after you spray the starter fluid in it? I made this mistake! It has to be back on or the maf sensor wont read.

Spray the starter fluid directly in the throttle body, put the intake back on AND then crank it.... see where it gets you.
yes I put the intake back on after spraying, and it just dies after that

can someone tell me if this is a sign of a bad fuel pump

the car drives for about 10 - 20 minutes and then dies, EVEN IDLING, would a fuel pump do this?

and when it last bogged down and died today at idle I heard the fuel pump going..

Last edited by PseudoKirby; 09-24-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by PseudoKirby
yes I put the intake back on after spraying, and it just dies after that

can someone tell me if this is a sign of a bad fuel pump

the car drives for about 10 - 20 minutes and then dies, EVEN IDLING, would a fuel pump do this?

and when it last bogged down and died today at idle I heard the fuel pump going..
Okay.. you have your choice.. keep talking about it and HOPE for CHANGE and that it goes away forever or do something about it.

I'm starting a detailed thread on my fuel pump experience.
Mine was a hard fail, tho not the FP itself, but you may be able to get something out of it.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...s-fixed-63397/
Bottom line: It was optional for me but you are going to have to buy or borrow a Fuel Pressure gauge.. no bones about it.

Quick Reply: 1995 Blazer Fuel Pump went out?