2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 blazer no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member
windows_wizard is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 blazer no start

1995 Blazer 4.3L engine won’t start changed cap, rotor, coil, battery, fuel filter. Checked gas pressure 60psi with keyswitch on, holds psi ok when turned off. Engine cranks good will start sometimes and runs fine. Will restart unless sit awhile (4 to 6 hrs), then it’s back to no start. Any ideas?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Define "holds psi ok" please. How far does it drop in 5 minutes? 10 minutes? etc...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member

after 5 min it droped less than 2 psi

can I check for spark with my timing light while cranking engine? Those plugs and wires are hard to get to.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...

You cannot change the timing on a computer controlled engine. You really should set it back to TDC on cylinder #1 and then see if the rotor lines up with the mark inside the distributor.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Beginning Member

not to check timing to check for spark using timing light. Since I am working on this thing alone cranking the engine and checking for spark is kinda hard. I thought that if I hooked up my timing light and taped backe the trigger switch I could place it where I could see it while trying to start the engine. Will this work or am I all wrong?

Last edited by windows_wizard; 12-08-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: clarifacation
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Beginning Member

Hello! Any ideas yet still waiting.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member
Default update

with the battery at 12.3 volts getting 46 psi fuel pressure. Put on battery charger at 12.6 volts fuel presure went to 48 psi. Left on charger a couple hours until battery voltage was at 14.1 volts fuel pressure went to 60 psi.
At which point the vehicle started, it would not at the lower pressures. I did hook up my timing light taped the trigger switch and it did show spark at the plug while cranking engine even when it would not start. Ordered the haynes manual today to get electrical prints to check for bad, corroded wires and connectors going to the feul tank. I am thinking that I
am losing voltage somewhere, and am making up the difference by charging the battery to 14 volts. Anyone ever have a problem like this?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

you can get a remote starter switch for like $12.00 from autozone and then you could stand wherever you need to so you can see into the engine compartment.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by oisinirish
you can get a remote starter switch for like $12.00 from autozone and then you could stand wherever you need to so you can see into the engine compartment.
Here's the funny thing I have a remote switch but can't seem to locate the starter relay, at least not the typical looking one.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member

Now it gets strange. Borrowed a scan tool & trouble shooter. With battery voltage at 12.3 volts turn key switch on fuel pump relay times out with pressure at 56 psi engine cranks but no start. Using the scanner turn on pump it goes to 62 psi engine cranks and starts.
After runing shut key switch off and shut pump off, psi at 59psi wait 15min psi at 56 psi another 5 min psi at 54 psi.

Quick Reply: 1995 blazer no start