2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 4x4, possibly bad actuator cable??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota. via Vivian, South Dakota
1996BlazerSD605 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 4WD problemd

My four wheel drive was working fine but now stopped...I have the 3 button push electric dash cluster. It goes in both 4hi and 4lo and both lights stay. The transfercase engages because I can hear it swich over when I push the buttons. The front driveshaft does lock when in 4wd so its not the t-case, but the front wheels do not grab or spin. The cable under the battery tray pulls in when engaged and there is a vaccum to the black round ball on the drivers side under hood. All of the lines seem to be ok too. The front shaft also spins when in 4wd because I looked whilebeing stuck, which tell me its somewhere in the front axle assembly?? I am by no mean a mechanic or know too much about cars to any help would be appreciated. I KNOW THERE'S PROBABLY A THREAD ON HERE BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT ISSUES AND ID LIKE TO ADDRESS MY OWN...Please help fellow forum members!!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Beginning Member
Bowers is on a distinguished road

My 4 wheel drive has been out in my 96 blazer same problems as you. I was playing around with my Tranny fuse in my fuse panel trying to figure out another tranny problem, I unplugged it and replugged it. I heard something engage or disengage in my transfercase. And it fixed my vibration problem for a bit that i was haveing in reverse. I got the idea to try out my 4 wheel drive and it worked. It blew my mind. I think i have a electrical problem causeing my problems. Try playing around with your Tranny fuse while running and see if it helps out, beware it does put your tranny in limp mode witch isnt good to drive in for long periods. My problems did return when i turned off my truck and restarted it though, but i could remove the fuse and replugg it and it would work again.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

If the vacuum is weak due to a leak or bad switch it might not be engaging all the way. The older s10s had that thing on the fender that made it way nicer I used to just manually pull mine and put vise grips on it due to a similar problem

Old 07-03-2011, 12:14 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Check the 1st link on my sig there should be a thread in there called 4x4 no worky look that over and see what you find Good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Beginning Member

I actually checked the "no worky" thread and it has great info, but I still can't seem to get it. Going to check all the vaccum lines tomorrow fully, but thnx for the reply. And I also tried the fuse thing and that didn't seem to do anything, but found some fuses that I replaed that fixed some minor issues haha

Yea I heard that but I haven't tried to clamp the cable or anything but going to try that tomorrow, thnx for the reply!!

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-04-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Beginning Member
Angry 1996 4x4, possibly bad actuator cable??

Hi members, i have a question with my 1996 4-door blazer with 3-button 4x4 cluster. I have checked all the vaccum line( pulled every single one out and check for leaks, got nothing). So i placed them back into their original spots. So my 4x4 vacuum actuator does not have a leak either and pulls the cable. I tried to manually pull the cable and lift my front end and threw it in 4x4, and the tires still spun when it shoudl be locked. I then unscred the cable for the actuator from the front axle and pulled on it many times quite hard and still the wheels locked. Does this mean that maybe my cable is disconnected or not properly set in there? Or maybe that the vaccuum switch on the t-case is bad??
And also shouLD the black orb ball on the driver side under the hood have two hoses going to it or on

T-Case locks and everything which rules the t-case problem out

AND SORRY IDK IF I SHOULD BE REPOSTING THIS TO MY PREVIOUS THREAD BUT I SEEM TO NOT BE GETTING ANY FEEDBACK THERE, AND IVE DONE EVERYTHING THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME TO DO!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merging duplicate threads* - A simple bump or status update in your previous thread is all that is necessary.

Now, about your problem... The information you have provided seems conflicting and clarification seems necessary. You state that when you apply vacuum to the actuator, the front axle doesn't lock in, but when you removed the cable from the front axle and pulled, it locked?? If that is the case, then it should have locked from up front. If it still did not lock even after disconnecting the cable at the front axle and pulling on the shift fork inside, then there is a problem inside the front axle that will require the removal of the passenger side extension housing.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
*Merging duplicate threads* - A simple bump or status update in your previous thread is all that is necessary.

Now, about your problem... The information you have provided seems conflicting and clarification seems necessary. You state that when you apply vacuum to the actuator, the front axle doesn't lock in, but when you removed the cable from the front axle and pulled, it locked?? If that is the case, then it should have locked from up front. If it still did not lock even after disconnecting the cable at the front axle and pulling on the shift fork inside, then there is a problem inside the front axle that will require the removal of the passenger side extension housing.
ok, when i put it in 4x4 the front driveshaft locks and t-case engages. so i checked the vacuum actuator under the battery try and it was pulling it. I then took off the Actuator completely and pushed the pin in and put my finger over the vacuum hose port and it stayed vacuumed, which means the actuator is good i assume? I then put it back in and jacked my blazer up so the wheels were up in front, i put it in 4x4 and the driveshaft locked as i said before it works, and manually pulled the actuator cable with pliers.vise griips, but the tire still rotated , shouldnt it be locking if its in 4x4 and not turning?, so can it be the cable inside the axle thats bad or something in the axle completely?

sorry for not stating things a little clearer before :/ , and from now on just post any problems im having through this thread?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the front axle engages with the transfer case engaged, then with the front wheels off the ground, rotating one wheel will cause the other to rotate in the opposite direction.

If you can spin one wheel and get no rotation out of the other one, then the front axle is not engaging. It could be a broken cable, or a broken component in the front axle. You need to disconnect the cable at the front axle and see if you can pull on the shift fork to engage it. If that still doesn't result in the front axle locking in, then you will have to pull the passenger side axle housing and replace whatever is broken.

As far as how/where you post, if you have a new problem, feel free to create a new thread if searches do not turn up the details you were looking for. But since you already had a 4wd problem thread, keep the discussion in one place.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If the front axle engages with the transfer case engaged, then with the front wheels off the ground, rotating one wheel will cause the other to rotate in the opposite direction.

If you can spin one wheel and get no rotation out of the other one, then the front axle is not engaging. It could be a broken cable, or a broken component in the front axle. You need to disconnect the cable at the front axle and see if you can pull on the shift fork to engage it. If that still doesn't result in the front axle locking in, then you will have to pull the passenger side axle housing and replace whatever is broken.

As far as how/where you post, if you have a new problem, feel free to create a new thread if searches do not turn up the details you were looking for. But since you already had a 4wd problem thread, keep the discussion in one place.
ok ill try the roatation thing again and fork before i take apart the axle housing haha. get back to ya tomorrow

This is kind of an off the subject question, but how do you get your little signature thing like that when you post, with your name and vehicles and the different transitions.

Quick Reply: 1996 4x4, possibly bad actuator cable??