2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 4x4 slt v6 vortec 4.3 - service engine light and oil smell - moved to 20F weathe

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 4x4 slt v6 vortec 4.3 - service engine light and oil smell - moved to 20F weathe

any ideas?

we moved from cali to illinois and was wondering if there is anything we need to do to the car to prepare for cold weather

Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Step #1 - get the codes read. Your truck is trying to tell you what's wrong with it.

About the only thing you should need to do is to check the coolant concentration to make sure that it is good for the temperatures with good margin.

If you were running 10w30 motor oil, you probably will want to switch to 5w30.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Step #1 - get the codes read. Your truck is trying to tell you what's wrong with it.

About the only thing you should need to do is to check the coolant concentration to make sure that it is good for the temperatures with good margin.

If you were running 10w30 motor oil, you probably will want to switch to 5w30.
The code went away as soon as I left the driveway (semi-sloped)

Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
tntfaguy is on a distinguished road

Coolant, hoses, belt and battery. I would also recommend running 5-30 in the winter. I'm next to you hear in Indy and it's frigid right now.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by tntfaguy
Coolant, hoses, belt and battery. I would also recommend running 5-30 in the winter. I'm next to you hear in Indy and it's frigid right now.
What should I do to the 4 items?? Insulate them?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member
tntfaguy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt4x4
What should I do to the 4 items?? Insulate them?
No, just take it in to your local shop and have them check it out for you. Like Swart said, make sure the coolant concentration is good, (usually is) unless someone has messed with it. Just make sure the belts and hoses are in good condition and make sure you have a good battery. Takes a lot of juice to start on a 0 degree morning.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by tntfaguy
No, just take it in to your local shop and have them check it out for you. Like Swart said, make sure the coolant concentration is good, (usually is) unless someone has messed with it. Just make sure the belts and hoses are in good condition and make sure you have a good battery. Takes a lot of juice to start on a 0 degree morning.
I heard it's the cold that causes the battery to discharge faster.

I was planning on getting a marine battery and upgrading the electrical system to bigger wires since getting an amp and sub.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just because the light went out doesn't mean that the code is gone. It will still be stored in the history and can be pulled.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Just because the light went out doesn't mean that the code is gone. It will still be stored in the history and can be pulled.
Ok cool. my dad bought the obd tool because his truck is an 03 sonoma so I'll hook it up when we find it.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Administrator

On the battery... Just get a good high cranking amp battery. Deep cycle batteries (like marine batteries) are not meant for automotive use as a primary battery.

Quick Reply: 1996 4x4 slt v6 vortec 4.3 - service engine light and oil smell - moved to 20F weathe