2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Ron
Ron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1996 blazer

My wife has a 96 blazer and she was coming home from work last night and the vehhicle just stopped dead on her. I called a tow truck and brought it home. when I tried to start it it started right up. She said the vehicle would not even turn over and when it stopped she said she lost all electrical and it wouldn't even turn over. I have checked the battery and the altenator and they are both fine. This has happened twice now and I'm afraid to let her use it. Has anyone had a simular problem.HELP, HELP< HELP.

Ron

Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1996 blazer

The battery cables have OTHER ends. The end at the starter, for instance, may have up to three fusable links hooked to it that supply electrical current for many parts of the car. Not all GM cars have that many but I just took one apart that had three fusable links.

The ground cable has another end also. Check it, ought to be at engine block. There are more multiple grounds scaterred around the engine compartment. Some are bundled together under one or two lugs and bolted right to firewall, while others are simple straps from the engine to the firewall. The ones in the back, near the distributor seem very important and need to be clean and tight. Dont know if everything coulod ever go completely black from there, but...

The manufacture of side post batteries has been pretty strange at times. I have run across a number of them(different brands) that have problems INTERNALLY where the threaded post hooks to the inner workings of the battery. When it gets good an lose, you can rock it back and forth and cause non starting. Perhaps the battery checks good, a good arc will make the connection good for a while and then it quits on a bad bump or something. I have heard the positive more likely to have this problem. AC DELCO seems to have a regular problem with this.

If your battery has a couple or three years on it, start by not trusting it. With the car running and the charge cable properly attached by splice or molded in, the car ought to run even if the battery post falls off. So the problem may not be there at all, I just had to mention the inherent problems with batteries these days.

With one of mine they are both attached at the battery, but can be taken off seperately, if things were lose here, then I could have different indications from most GM products. (I happen to know it though)

Check both the whole paths again before continuing. Let us know.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Ron
Ron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1996 blazer

Thanks for the info, I have cleaned the grounds and even added another to the firewall. So far today the blazer has been working ok for me 'But', I think I will let my wife drive my ford for awhile.

Ron