2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 s10 blazer fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
jcannon is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 s10 blazer fuel pressure regulator

I have a 96 s10 blazer 2wd, and the fuel pressure is down, the pump is good, the spider injector has been replaced and now I have the upper intake plentum off of the vehicle to replace the fuel pressure regulator, I noticed that the regulator had no vacuum line attached to it, is there supposed to be one to it, and if so, does anyone know how i can find where the line comes from to go to the regulator?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Beginning Member
spotteddog is on a distinguished road
Default I have the same question

I just replaced the SFI spider in my 96 Blazer 4.3L Vortec with a BWD #63885 unit that has the injectors moved out to each cylinder. It seems to work great. The part I replaced was burned beyond recognition. Probably because I forced the Blazer to travel a few miles that it did not want to go. I finished this repair yesterday and it hit me last night that I did not remove a vacuum line nor did I connect one to the new regulator. If there was one it was burned away and I have no idea where it was attached. If someone can answer this question It would be appreciated. I will be faster disassembling the Blazer, AGAIN, but I would really rather not! Sorry I don't have the answer but I will post it when I find out.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Beginning Member
Default No hose

I just found a post by swartlkk that I am not quoting but it led me to the conclusion that the internal manifold vacuum is what the regulator gets, so no vacuum hose. I apologize for not being able to give the link to his answer. My skills at posting on a forum and keeping up with where I am are lacking. I can say that that makes at least 3 MAJOR answers he has given me in the last two days that were not to be found anywhere else! Without them me and my Blazer (or a lot of money) would have parted ways. Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road

Ok I have a 97 blazer 4x4 and want to upgrade the spider to the new style, does this use the same fuel pressure regulator? I watched a youtube video but they didnt say to much about it? when I install it do I just have to plug in the injectors and not touch the regulator? and the spider assemble does come with a new regulator right? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
Default Pressure regulator

What I can say for sure is for the 96 4.3L Vortec with the SFI injection. This is on a 4 door Blazer. Now it is 1 week and no telling how many miles the wife has gone, at least 6 or 7 hundred and starting in 23 degree mornings, she reports the Blazer is great. The BWD 63885 INJECTOR from O'Riley I put in comes with a new regulator and is ready to go in. Don't make the mistake of test fitting the injectors you only want to snap them in once! Let me say that it requires no O-rings on the injectors and there is no vacuum hose on the regulator. Thanks to the Blazer Forum this was a much easier job! Labeling all the bolts as I took them off helped a lot too.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To the OPs question (which I have answered in the past), there is no vacuum line running to the FPR. Because it is located inside the vacuum source (the intake manifold), it requires no line to pipe vacuum to it.

dj, the new MFI spider will come with a new FPR already installed. I do believe it is the same, but you shouldn't have to worry about it. On the '96-'97 SCFI engine, I would recommend getting the bracket with it as I believe there were changes in the bracket design to allow for better clearance around the hoses. The MFI hoses are larger due to having the wiring for the injectors in them. At least get the bracket and compare closely with what you have in there. You'd hate to ruin a new spider for a $20 bracket.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
taabjb2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Problem fuel delivery

where is fuel regulator pressure located 96 chevy blazer. I am having problems starting it and will run for a short time like a few seconds and it dies out and then it will not restart. I have replaced the fuel filter and the pump is working but do not know the pressure. The engine is starving on gas I cannot smell gas when I start it. It starts up and runs for a little bit then stalls. I replaced the maf sensor and ignition coil and module and spark plugs and caps rotor and wiresets.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member
Default 96 fuel problems

The fuel pressure regulator is mounted to the end of the injector block. You must remove the upper manifold cover to see it. It sounds similar to my problem except that on my 96 4.3L vortec the engine would barely run. Had I not found this forum I would never have attempted the repair, but I am glad I did. I will tell you what I did and then you should listen to what the moderator says. My problem was bad injectors that apparently were leaking in the intake manifold. The simple test to see if your injectors are leaking is with a pressure gauge on a hose with a schaeder coupling. There is a mating test connection on the silver fuel line just in front of the firewall to the right and above the distributor. With your new pump you should read 60psi + and the reading should remain steady when the ignition key off. Any thing different is incorrect. If the pump is working properly and the pressure leaks off rapidly you have injector problems or regulator or both, any body correct me as it has now been 6 months and my memory can be bad. The main thing I would say is this. Don't be afraid to to dissassemble the intake maifold/ air intake. It is not that bad and you must do it to get to any of the fuel system other than the tank. Mine had had an internal fuel explosion that I will try to add a photo of. It was a nasty mess yours is probably not as bad. Plan on taking your time and labeling where you take each bolt from. I used masking tape and marker on every bolt and had no "extra parts" left. An ultrasonic cleaner from HBF helped but was not necessary. You will get to clean the air intake body until it shines like a new one! It actually took me about 10 hours. I took my time and learned a lot. It was easier than changing the plugs, which I had also done 4 times in the preceding week. It was two weeks after that my pump died and I got to change it. Blazer is running great, still not getting as good of mileage, 14 or 15 the wife said, but runs great. I used the spider from ORILY. Other than that my two QA were there are no o rings on the injector nozzles and there is no vac hose to be put on the pressure regulator. Use new gaskets and take your time. If in doubt, this is where you will find the answer! I don't have the links but they are not hard to find, the forum moderator whos name I can't spell, has diagrams and explanations for questions you might have.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

got my fuel pump ordered because i used the diagnostic page from this forum and that what everything leads me to believe si to replace pump. hoping thats all it is.......

Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
taabjb2010 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for helping me with this. I did the pressure test today and it was 55psi. the pump pressure is 12psi which means my regulator was not working properly the throttle body was 55 psi also. I did buy the parts and realdy for a long work ahead of me this weekend. thank you

Quick Reply: 1996 s10 blazer fuel pressure regulator