2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 just stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
pinecone is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 just stopped

Hello, new to this forum but would be grateful for any suggestions.

I have a 1997 4wd Chev. Blazer. It has been a good car, not too many serious problems at all. (I just had the fuel pump replaced though and I don't think this has anything to do with my current problem but just put it out there as an FYI.) So we were driving on the freeway, just getting off as a matter of fact, and the car just stopped. Smoke starts coming out of the engine. I have it towed back home and had someone look at it the next day. They found nothing other than a bit of fluid on the engine which was probably why it was smoking. It started right up BTW, don't know if I really had to have it towed, but wasn't going to take a chance. Very strange that the mechanic could not find ANYTHING! Would rather he would have found something. I don't remember if any lights came on or not right before it stopped, so can't help in that respect. I have been reading that a faulty ignition switch is a common problem with 97' Blazers and that that could be the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 PM
pinecone is on a distinguished road

Could this be the ignition switch?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pinecone
Could this be the ignition switch?
Very likely, if it has not been replaced already, yes.
You'll have to wait for it to happen again. Look to see if the dash lights up, or if the gauges are working. If not, it's the switch harness assembly. ~$100.00 or so at Autozone/advanceAuto/etc. Plenty of threads on this, so it's not too hard to do (did my '97 about 6 years ago). Couple of special tools required (m4 torx socket).

Anyway, mine started off the same as yours. Just driving along, and everything went out. Started right back up. 2 or 3 days later, it wouldn't start at all. Cranked, but no spark anywhere. Fuel pump didn't prime.

If you want to test the switch, turn the key to the on position. Check the cluster and verify thast everything is on/working, then directly under the steering wheel shroud, below the key tumbler, look for a heavy gauge pink wire coming down from the key area and terminating at a block close to the fire wall. Wiggle that wire up close to the key switch box (black box, small match-box size, mounted to key tumbler), and see if the cluster flickers. If so, your Ignition switch harness is shot.