2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998 Jimmy: Fuel pump diagnostic questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by odat
when I have a tank down I check it well externally for rust spots - I usually clean it well then I coat it with dupacolor pickup bed liner except for the fuel pump mounting ring and the pump its self - I kinnda figure a couple cans of bed liner beats dropping the tank again later for a seeping leak - been there done that
If you have time before you disconnect the fuel lines?Rinse the top of the tank with your garden hose.That way you won`t have to worry about any dirt getting into the gas lines.Keep it clean as you go.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by lunghdlunghd
Our GMC has a plastic tank but since I'm so old I'm rusting too I do know whatchamean! (I wonder if Duplicolor has my tint in stock? )

From riding old motorcycles I remember using a tank liner product that went into the bike's (empty & clean!) gas tank. Ya pulled the tank, cleaned it, made sure it was dry inside & then poured in the sealant and sloshed it around. (You can't always find a tank for an old Norton & ya hafta make do if you want to keep a stock tank on the bike.)

Can't remember product name but google will likely turn it up. It lines the entire fuel tank with a seamless, leakproof coating and that along with your external coat, would buy years on an old tank!
Por 15 makes a tank liner application.Clean it out real well,let dry.Read and follow directions to the T.Summit racing.com sells their products.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
I have had the jimmy for 4 years, have done the fuel pump a few times in those 4 years and have not once changed the fuel filter without an issue.

Then again, the tank was put in not too long before we got it, and I cut and hinged up an access panel in the rear of the truck so I do not have to drop the tank.
Is there a way you can post a picture of this hinge door you`ve made for the fuel pump replacement?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Toocute350
Is there a way you can post a picture of this hinge door you`ve made for the fuel pump replacement?
I only took pictures after the hole was cut. I never took photos once I added the piano hinge and riveted the 1/8" aluminum 1/2" wide piece as a stop.

I think I might have the pictures of the hole cut in my build thread. I know I put them somewhere on this site.

There was no structural issues (even with the 50+lb sub box sitting on top of it, or if I were sitting on it either (160lb)

To get to it, take out a few interior panel screws in the rear to loosen them. They do not need to be removed, the fold the carpet back, and lift open the hatch.

It takes me 15-20 minutes to do a fuel pump, then when the carpet is put back, you cant even tell anything was done.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:37 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

If you have time before you disconnect the fuel lines?Rinse the top of the tank with your garden hose.That way you won`t have to worry about any dirt getting into the gas lines.Keep it clean as you go.
I guess i should have stated when tank is out and not down, I agree with keep it clean but I was addressing the fact that these tanks have a history of rotting from the outside

Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
I only took pictures after the hole was cut. I never took photos once I added the piano hinge and riveted the 1/8" aluminum 1/2" wide piece as a stop.

I think I might have the pictures of the hole cut in my build thread. I know I put them somewhere on this site.

There was no structural issues (even with the 50+lb sub box sitting on top of it, or if I were sitting on it either (160lb)

To get to it, take out a few interior panel screws in the rear to loosen them. They do not need to be removed, the fold the carpet back, and lift open the hatch.

It takes me 15-20 minutes to do a fuel pump, then when the carpet is put back, you cant even tell anything was done.
About what year was it?I`m curious to see where you have the hole located.I may do this when I repalce my pump.Which I hope it isn`t too soon.I changed out my fuel filter the same week I bought her.So then again you never know when they decide to act up.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 PM

About what year was it?I`m curious to see where you have the hole located.I may do this when I repalce my pump.Which I hope it isn`t too soon.I changed out my fuel filter the same week I bought her.So then again you never know when they decide to act up.
I just seen a person named 72mm that cut his floor board out for the pump replacement.Was this you?It was back in 10-2015.It`s located under the back(driver side)rear passenger seat.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by odat
I guess i should have stated when tank is out and not down, I agree with keep it clean but I was addressing the fact that these tanks have a history of rotting from the outside
I just didn`t want you to do what they guy was doing with all that dirt on top if the tank.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That was not me, I have had this user name since I started posting here.
It was on my 93 Jimmy. I also did it on the previous 94 blazer that I had.

I started searching through my posts to find the cut out pictures, but I got too lazy on my search.

But if you find the time to search through all my posts, you will find the pictures.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Beginning Member
lunghdlunghd is on a distinguished road

Por 15 makes a tank liner application.Clean it out real well,let dry.Read and follow directions to the T.Summit racing.com sells their products.
POR 15! That was it!

Used it on my old Norton's gas tank. Don't think it would adhere to a plastic tank, though.... and a plastic tank wouldn't rust but I can confirm it does great on old bike tanks, at least.

Quick Reply: 1998 Jimmy: Fuel pump diagnostic questions