2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer LS A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 PM
BajaDude is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer LS A/C compressor

My '99 Blazer LS has been tortured by the heat and roads of Baja, Mexico for the last 6 years, but it's still hanging together. However, I apparently need a new A/C compressor and my Mexican mechanic has recommended I source a Delphi or Delco from the U.S. rather than buy the Chinese knock-off available down here. My problem is that there seems to be a difference of opinion between various websites I've searched. Some think the same compressor fits both the LT model and the LS model, while other sites don't. The Delphi site doesn't even list the LS model as an option but other sites recommend the CS0121 for ALL '99 Blazers!

Can anyone point me to a reliable online parts catalog to determine which compressor to buy? I'd also appreciate any suggestions on where to buy.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:38 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Dont really think LS or LT matters I would go with brand name. Try rockauto.com

Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Your 99 originally came with a Harrison HT6 compressor. They are lightweight, quiet, inexpensive, and do a fair job for a limited amount of time. Unfortunately, they have an inferior design that causes them to leak where the case halves come together.

Name:  H6.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  24.6 KB

It is commonly called a "belly leak". When it happens, it's time for a new compressor. If it's not leaking now, be patient, it will. Most aftermarket compressor manufacturers use the same design, or very similar. If you're happy with the performance, stick with it. If you want to upgrade performance, longevity, and quality, there is an option.

Sanden makes a replacement compressor that is plug & play. It bolts right up, clutch plugs right in. It is designed without the seam in the center of the case, as a result, problem solved.

Name:  sanden.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  17.0 KB

It's heavier than the Harrison, it is as quiet or quieter, performs better, and lasts longer. LS & LT compressors are all the same. 96-98 compressors are slightly different from 99-05. Your 1999 uses a Sanden type SD7H15, model 4261: 4261 Compressor Shop around, Amazon, Ebay, Rock Auto.com and other online sites will have it. You will not regret getting one of these, it is a quality piece.

When installing the mounting bolts, they must be evenly tightened in an "X" pattern, to the proper spec.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-30-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM
BajaDude is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the help!

Thanks to newguy and Captain Hook for the speedy replies! As you probably guessed, I'm NOT a mechanic and I get really frustrated dealing with car repairs, especially down here where literally everybody thinks their an auto expert!

My Blazer is really glad I stumbled onto this forum!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

There are many very amazing people on here by how smart they are. Actually the knowledge here is priceless!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 AM
BF Veteran

I only know about blazers because I`ve had 2 in 3 years and fixed almost everything you can fix on em LOL.

BUT, when its all done ,running good and solid. They`re great trucks

Old 05-03-2015, 06:08 AM
bdodds1985 is on a distinguished road

So I am guessing the AC Delco Compressor will run into the same problem eventually and leak as well?

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-22124 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-22124 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Compressor: Automotive

This is the one I was going to get. however I also noticed that right before the accumulator the hose seems crimped or crushed. it looks like a pretty big job, because I also have to replace the heater core...

Old 05-03-2015, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran

I doubt you will have issues with the compressor again. Compressor not a big job, heater core,, yes

Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If you use the Harrison design for your replacement, don't expect a different outcome. If you want to solve the root cause, you need to eliminate it.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I was told today that I would soon need a compressor. I am not really that concerned with it since they aren't really super expensive. However, when I google Sanden compressors for 2000 blazer I get some weird results. Is there a certain model I should get?

Quick Reply: 1999 Blazer LS A/C compressor