2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member
rtvickers is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer no start issue

I have a 1999 blazer that is having some issues. Heres the main issue Im having right now. I was driving down the road and it just cut off and wont start. No crank at all. I turn the key and all the lights and bells come on but no crank. I replaced the battery and it started. I drove it for 4 months. But it happened again. I replaced the alt, starter, and the ignition switch. I did the pats process also. Im thinking my next step is to replace the BCM. If anyone has any suggestions don't hesitate to throw it out there.

Thanks
Tommy V

Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 PM
spittybays

Sorry what's the "pat's" process?
Do you have 12v at the starter solenoid wire when you have someone hit the key?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
Sorry what's the "pat's" process?
Do you have 12v at the starter solenoid wire when you have someone hit the key?
I may have called it the wrong thing. Its the security system problem. Letting the system relearn the code. I haven't had a chance to check for power at the solenoid yet. Hopefully I can get to that this week.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale,[this is the security light in the instrument panel] after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Last edited by rtvickers; 07-20-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I didn't want to wait until next week to do some testing. I tested the wire at the solenoid (purple wire). No power to the solenoid. I tested the purple wire at the ignition switch and it had power. So Im on a quest for a schematic to chase the wires.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Tommy V:
I believe the '99 model has a known history of the ignition switch failing....someone correct me if I have the wrong year here...
No 12V at the starter solenoid, but at the ignition switch says bad switch.

Find that wiring diagram, as the ignition switch may also be the cause of why the engine died when driving down the road. Do a search on here and you will likely find more info.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If it's got power coming out of the switch but not to the solenoid, it's most likely a broken wire. Not to mention he said he replaced the switch already. The ign switch is a pretty common failure though.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Tommy V:
I believe the '99 model has a known history of the ignition switch failing....someone correct me if I have the wrong year here...
No 12V at the starter solenoid, but at the ignition switch says bad switch.

Find that wiring diagram, as the ignition switch may also be the cause of why the engine died when driving down the road. Do a search on here and you will likely find more info.
I did some searching last night on the site and google. I agree, this seems to be very common problem. I would say common is an understatement.

If Im getting power out of the switch wouldn't that mean its good? I haven found the wiring diagram yet. But Im not giving up. Lol

Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
If it's got power coming out of the switch but not to the solenoid, it's most likely a broken wire. Not to mention he said he replaced the switch already. The ign switch is a pretty common failure though.

That's what Im thinking. A bad connection somewhere. I went to the junkyard yesterday and bought three switches. I know, they're from the junkyard but I didn't want to spend $70-$80 on a part that wont fix the problem. They all look good and produce the same results. No start. I will be able to get the diagram tomorrow at work.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

the security system WILL NOT shut the car off while driving. It just wont allow the starter to act when the key is turned.

1997 was the year of the bad ign switch. but all years had problems to an extent just 97 was the worst

Broken wire seems to be what I'm thinking

Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Beginning Member

So the last time I messed with the blazer I took off the wire that goes to the solenoid and left it off and disconnected the battery. Today I went out to start testing wires. I reconnected the solenoid wire and reconnected the battery. The damn thing started. I cant tell you how many times Ive tried starting it in the past 3 months. I turned it off and started it atleast 20 times today. It started every time. I let it run for about 30 mins. It has to be something with that wire. Im sure it will happen again and then I'll be able to chase it down.

Quick Reply: 1999 Blazer no start issue