2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

#2 cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default #2 cylinder misfire

I changed out the cpi today on my 1995 blazer and while waiting for the cpi I replaced the dist. cap and rotor. Well, tonight when I got everything put back together and cranked it up I got the code for #2 cylinder misfire. It is running rough. Hey, the lope is gone but is is running awful needless to say. Should I focus my attention to the dist cap and wires or could the cpi replacement be causing the crappy running of the engine? Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: #2 cylinder misfire

Did you verify that there were no fuel leaks after replacing the CPI unit? Did you replace the internal fuel lines at the same time you installed the CPI? If not, you could have a leak in the internal lines. The 'nut kit' as it is commonly referred to really is a single use item. Once it is disassembled, it should be replaced.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Changed out the nut kit along with the cpi. How would I check any farther than looking at connections? I powered it up before I battoned down the plenum to make sure nothing was leaking inside the manifold.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so check that off the list.

Next I would go through and check all of the spark plug wires. Pay special attention to where they each connect to the distributor cap as air can be trapped when pushing the wire onto the terminal. I use a small screwdriver to release the air when installing the wires onto the distributor cap. This will keep things nice and tight.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 PM

I'll try again tomorrow. When I changed the wires before this it didn't screw up anything. Could the dist cap or rotor be off somehow and make it throw the cylinder 2 misfire? I have an extra plenum gasket so I may very well take off the top tomorrow and make sure all the poppets are in like they are supposed to be. Thanks man.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 PM

I went ahead and checked all of the wires tonight. Still missing #2. Damn, I was so ready to hear a nice purr instead of the awful noise it is making.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 AM

OK, it is slowly warming up here and trying to come up with a plan of attack. Should I first try taking off the dist cap and rotor and checking them out and then reinstalling them? That should be fun with the upper intake back on now. Just trying to figure out what has screwed up. Damn!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Ok, just took the upper plenum off again. Ummm,,,, small puddles of gas now. Smells awful. Did Lindertech or whatever send me a shot cpi??
Lines are not leaking. I hooked up the battery and turned the key for the pump to cycle and it isn't leaking then. WTF is going on here?
I already know the answer but I can't crank it with the top off to see where...... sorry, I'll sit and wait for advice.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:06 PM

No ideas?
I have taken off the cap and rotor and reinstalled them to make sure they are not the problem. Could moving around everything during the install mess up my control module?
I have done a fuel pressure test with it turned off. It has good pressure when turning the key but it drops thereafter. Not sure where the leak is since I can't detect any fuel leaking from the nut kit. Alldata tells me the injector is bad if it doesn't hold pressure and no leak detected. Any Help?

Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM

Bolted everything back up after checking and rechecking everything. Cranked it up. #2 cylinder misfire once again. Is this a bad cpi or should I take back the cap and rotor since they were Auto Zone specials and see if that is the problem?
Is there anybody here today?

Quick Reply: #2 cylinder misfire