2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

#2 cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: #2 cylinder misfire

Tom,
Have you tried clearing the code(s) once you completed the repairs. Sometimes it works,.....sometimes it doesn't. Worth a shot, best of all it's cheap and easy.

Keep us posted

Gator

Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Codes cleared. I think Lindertech sent me a crappy injector.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Tom,

You have a CPI correct? (one injector, six poppet valves?) If so then a bad injector would effect all six cylinders, but a bad poppet valve might only effect one. You stated you smelled fuel, and that you have a fuel pressure drop? It almost sounds like you have a poppet valve thats sticking.(assuming that the electrical side of the #2 cyl is good to go) The only thing on the ignition side you changed was the cap and rotor right?
Hard to imagine getting a misfire on #2 when all you changed was the cap and rotor as long as the plug wires are fully seated.
What was the reason for changing the CPI ? What all did you replace? Just trying to help

Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM

The cpi was shot. There was gas puddled and it ran extremely rough.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:35 AM

OK, I'll give the history.....
1995 Blazer. CPI W engine.
The engine started having a bad lope and foul odor coming out of the exhaust. I had already changed the plugs, egr and oxygen sensors. I entered the plenum hoping to just change out the FPR but had to change out the entire CPI because there was gas pooled all around. I also changed out the nut kit while in there along with changing out the rotor and cap since it is soooooo much easier to do with the plenum off. I have gone from a lope and foul exhaust to a blinking SES light and #2 cylinder misfire.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

1995 Blazer. CPI W engine.
engine started having a bad lope/ foul odoroutexhaust..changed plugs, egr and oxygen sensors.. changed entire CPI, nut kit, rotor and cap
------------------------------------------------------------------
Trust me when i say "I feel for you" as i have been fighting the very issue you are combating for 14mths now!
Something to think about, ihave, replaced everything with new parts that you have Plus:
New Catalyic Convertor,Exhaust,IAC,TPS,Cleaned out entire plenum/top end,PCV valve,new Battery.

Now into the $1000's later= '95 Blazerstill all fartsy what with the lope/crap running and all.

I'll follow all inputstothis issuev-e-r-y closely ! Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:52 PM

I now wish I had kept the lope and 10 mpg. I can't even drive it down the street now.
My mechanic suggested changing the #2 wire again because they are just so easily broken. I might have frucked it up when I changed out the cap. He did at least say the new cpi is probably not the problem. Oh well, I don't feel like buying the entire wire set so I will have to wait until tomorrow when the place that sells a single wire if that is all you need is open. I'll keep everyone posted.
I'm to the point of wondering if AllData.com's diagram of the firing order is wrong. For those that know for sure the #2 cylnder is the closest to the front of the engine on the passenger side and the first one on the pass. side cap to the engine???

Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM

My impatience made me unplug the 2 wire and change it out with the 4 wire. Still a misfire in cylinder 2. DAMN!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

foul odor coming out of the exhaust
--------------------
Something to ponder on: Rotten egg/foul odours are common symptoms of a Catalyic convertor gone bad/plugged/not functioning properly, i sprung for one assomething inside convertor was rattling.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM

The blazer is at my mechanic's shop this afternoon. I figured they have the dianostic equipment to check over the entire ignition system. Lindertech emailed me today and said it COULD be the cpi spider. They said there was a chance the #2 poppet is clogged and for me to pop it with a finger and then to cycle the fuel pump with the injector unplugged and pointed into a cup to see if fuel is indeed coming out of it.
Since it is 4:30 and the mechanic's shop closes at 6 I am afraid they are coming up with nothing on the ignition. Sounds like I may end up revisiting the inside of the intake once again.
Just got the call. Ignition system is A-OK. It is a fuel problem which tells me the #2 poppet is acting up. If I can't get it to work I guess I'll be sending this one back along with the old one to collect my core charge. Dang.

Quick Reply: #2 cylinder misfire