2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2 Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member
dacop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 Problems...

Hey Guys, need some advice please...

(2003 Blazer)

1. I recently noticed some oil leaking going on. I got an oil change today and asked the tech to look for the problem. He told me the "oil hose" was leaking a bit and was a common problem with these trucks. He told me to stop by during the week and he will be able to tell me what it will cost to fix. What should I expect to pay for something like this? It this a major project?

2. My wiper tank is full and I still cant get the fluid to come out onto the windshield. It sounds like the motor is trying but nothing comes out. Any suggestions? (not freezing temp today).

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

For the wiper problem, see if there's fluid on the ground after you try and use it? If so, you probably have a disconnected hose!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

the hose itself is about a $30 part, as for the labor i have no idea how long it would take to replace.

One thing to check before taking it in to the mechanic is the gasket/o-ring thing between the remote oil filter block and the line, these commonly fail and the oil sprays back and builds up on the lines making it look like it is leaking from the crimp seals on the lines. To do this U will have to remove the plastic shrowd on the bottom of ur truck (the one with the oil filter door on it) and remove the bolts from the oil filter block. Then pull the lines off and check the gaskets out, if they look torn or blown out then replace them. Then use some degreaser to clean up any oil spray and residue on the bottom of the truck, this will help you realize whether or not the gaskets cured the leak; if u got oil all over the place still u will never be able to tell if it is still leaking.
This was the problem on mine and the gasket only costs about $2 or $3 from the dealer; i dont think that local parts stores (napa, autozone, etc) carry the gaskets and im pretty sure they are a dealer only item. U might be able to save some $$ and have it fixed for less than 5 bucks in about 30 minutes without takin it to the mechanic.

+1 for checking for washer fluid on the ground after hitting the switch. Does the wiper fluid make it back to the rear wiper?

Last edited by toaks1; 01-17-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 AM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by toaks1

+1 for checking for washer fluid on the ground after hitting the switch. Does the wiper fluid make it back to the rear wiper?
Haha mine don't. I really don't need to see my spare tire that badly tho

Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Beginning Member
lineman1211 is on a distinguished road

Rear windshield wiper? lol

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

OT: If you drive a 2dr the rear wiper is just for looks lol. It provides no purposeful use what-so-ever. The wiper (stock size) happens to clear the exact shape around the spare tire when you're looking through the rear view. Not above it or beside it, but the exact shape of the tire lol.
I agree with either the wiper hose being disconnected or plugged..

Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the lines under your hood for your windshield wiper fluid. Make sure they are all connected and not cracked or broken anywhere. The reservoir, lines, and pumps are all easy to find at junk yards if any of them need to be replaced.