2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 AM
crazylazy9 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring

I got a 2000 Chevy Blazer with the 4.3. Recently had a engine put in it due to blown up old one. Guy put engine in for me and trans all that good stuff but didn't wire it right.

I cannot get it to turn over with key, but can if I spark off the starter solenoid it will crank and run.

Passing gear not working, just boggs out. Ground wires loose everywhere. It's a mess. I can t find a wiring diagram anywhere. I have all the wires on the solenoid but still nothing when turn the key. I have a wire coming out of firewall right behind where the gauge cluster is that is black and orange maybe red. it has been cut and dont know where it went.

Any diagrams, pictures, suggestions, books I can buy on how to hook up wiring on motor would help.

Main thing is not starting with key. I cant figure it out or find the problem.

Thanks for any help in advance

Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Was the engine appropriate for your truck? If so, wiring should have been simply plugging in or bolting on...

If grounds are loose, start there.

If you need more specific wiring information, you may want to try AllDataDIY.com or get yourself a factory service manual (they pop up on eBay from time to time). I can provide some wiring diagrams, but I do not have the time to dig up every one for your truck. You have to be specific about what you want and it often is just easier if you have the tools at your disposal rather than waiting on someone else.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

any chance your PCM was tuned to reflect the new engine? while they all came with 4.3's, there is a lot of variation through out the years...

when i smoked my original engine, the donor was from a different style. PCM reprograming job later, all is fine

Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Engine I got was for a 2000 Blazer and came out of one just like mine, the guy I got to do it was not right guy for job.
My main thing right now is the starter. I turn the key and nothing. If I use a pair of pliers and can crank it on sokenoid.

Also there there is one wire that comes right out of firewall that is fried in two and cant find the other half. This wire is black with orange stripe on it. If you lift hood on drivers side right there in the clear coming out of firewall. I wonder if this has to do with ignition, going to the starter solenoid.

I will start with the grounds I mean this guy ripped me and having to take him to court on deal. He basically got it to run dropped it off and hid like a girl lol. By the way stole my Catalytic converter off the thing too. Said it was missing when he got it,lol. I'm like MY WIFE DRIVES THIS TO WORK, why would it be missing....Anyway.

If I can get this thing to start from key then I'm going somewhere. The only other major problem is to do with shifter.

Battery was dead when he started on car so he took off boot of auto shifter and broke the little piece that allows it to come out of park. Whole nother thread I guess.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:17 PM

About the PCM thing I really dont know about that. Mines the 2000 trailblazer. Basically blazer with trailblazer package i guess, b/c it's same as S-10 blazer in size and looks etc. Should I have the PCM checked or get a new one?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 PM
BF Veteran

nah, i would assume it's good. 2000-2000 will not cause a compatability problem anywhere. also Trail blazer (through 2002 i think) is just a trim package (although a very very nice one) nothing really changed drivetrain wise.

Attached is a pic of the driver's side fire wall. where is the black with orange tracer wire coming from? maybe we can narrow down where it goes. the picture is broken down into a grid.

ALSO: this is going to sound stupid, but after checking grounds and such, you may want to take a peek in the old fuse block and see if any of your ignition system/starter fuses are shot. some times the easy stuff gets overlooked

Attached Thumbnails 2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring-drivers-side-wires.jpg  

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-17-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Check IGN C fuse for power. That supplies the appropriate part of the ignition switch with power. Check CRANK fuse for power, that has power in that start position after the switch (both in underhood block). From there power goes thru the neutral start switch on the side of the tranny then back to the start relay in the underhood fuseblock. Does the indicator match up with the gear you're selecting? If he didn't line up the switch on the side of the transmission right you won't have a neutral start switch nor backup lights in reverse. Might confuse the gear selection too. Edit: I looked back at your second post, if he broke your shifter cable that would explain a LOT. I tried to locate that wire on mine-it's all in harnesses, add a picture.

Last edited by RonJon; 01-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm going to run down to my papa's body shop and take some pics, thanks a ton for all the reply's I'm already starting to get close to figureing this out let's hope lol.

All fues's are good, I have checked that part out.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Default 2000 blazer 4.3 wiring

I forgot to mention that when wife picked this up it did crank she drove it. I have a lifter loose so parked it down at my grandfather's shop. Got new rods and lifters to put back in also throttle body from old motor is going back on this one. So something had to happen to make it not start with ignition, that's why I'm thinking that this wire was burned or something.
The guy basically shade tree mechanic and did what he had to do to get it in to crank and drive. Wife didn't know any better and paid him. Now he's hiding out or some bull due to stealing my catalytic converter.

Here are some pics of the mystery wire. I got a few of them to try and get a good look. It's broken or cut or burned at the end. But you can see it's coming from like a black plug that goes into the firewall.

Anybody know of a site where I can put up the pics of shifter, starter solenoid, and loose grounds oh and where my Cat was mysteriously removed and straight piped lol?

Thanks again

Attached Thumbnails 2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring-picture-027-small-.jpg   2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring-picture-028-small-.jpg   2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring-picture-029-small-.jpg   2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring-picture-032-small-.jpg   2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring-picture-044-small-.jpg  

Last edited by crazylazy9; 01-17-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran

orange wire looks like part of your cruise control in those pics

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer 4.3 engine wiring