2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer Problem - I'm Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Put a new fuel filter in it too.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Confuused69
dont go cheap on your fuel pump. You say you only need a year or two? Well plan on replacing it again!! Cheap is no good when it comes to a fuel pump.
I couldnt agree more, Also replace your FUEL FILTER if you havent already. and dont go cheap on these either. I bought a cheap filter from auto zone (made in china) and it lasted about 3 months before the filter element inside of the canister somehow came loose, it sounded like a can of spray paint when i shook it up. needless to say it was blocking the fuel flow and i was stalling, loosing power, etc. Replaced it with a Napa filter (made in USA) and its all better.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i have to agree with Confuused69, RonJon, and toaks1. always buy the best parts you can when doing the jobs that require the BS installs (like doing the fuel pump), 'cause it's only gonna cost ya again when it fail sooner, rather than later.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
JSBlenz9498 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you solved your problem there.

Quick question, just bought a 98 blazer that needs a fuel pump, but i havent picked it up yet so i really havent had the chance to look for it. Am i going to have to drop the tank or is there a place where i can get to it. Its a 98 4x4 4 door. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
dback3 is on a distinguished road

Yea, you are going to have to drop the tank. Two things I recommend are taking all of the gas out of the tank to have a light tank and removing the spare tire if it is under the truck to get more room to disconnect the hoses.

As for genuine parts, I have pretty much lost all confidence in the reliability of any manufacturer's quality of auto parts. Whether they come from the dealer, autozone, online, or wherever, I have needed to return more than a few brand new parts because they simply didn't work. They were defective. The latest example was when I tried the ignitio switch. I bought three different switches (Checker, Autozone, GM) and NONE of them worked, the truck would simply not start with any of them. But the one I already had in there worked just fine. It was unbelievable.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

now, i'm just asking dback3.............why did you change the ignition switch then?

Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM
dback3 is on a distinguished road

I couldn't figure out what the problem was since my fuel pump seemed fine (buzzing and pressure) and everything else did too. I had heard and read of a lot of people with the same symptoms and the switch fixed it. I couldn't even find a working one around here to replace it with. My original one ended up being fine and it was the fuel pump (figured it out after it left me stranded and I no longer heard the buzzing.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

A year ago I replaced my pump with a $75 Ebay one. Truck ran fine, fuel sending unit was bad (wacky gauge) and I had a 2lb./min. leakdown with the key off. Thought I'd replace everything on the cheap. Now I have a truck that runs good, no leakdown, and fuel gauge that works great 'till I get down to 1/4 of a tank then goes bonkers. <shrugs> So now I keep over a quarter tank in the truck which solves one of the fuel pumps biggest enemies. (plugged filter is enemy #2)