2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 blazer whining/droning while turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Beginning Member
Jalmquist125 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer whining/droning while turning

When I turn to the right my blazer makes this kind of droning noise. It seems to be only when I go around any curve to the right and then when I straighten the wheel back out the noise stops. Also when at low speeds and turning sort of sharply I can here a clunking noise that I believe is coming from the front end, this happens while turning left or right. I don't know if these two problems are connected or separate issues. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Starting Member
sky_blazer is on a distinguished road

Is your Blazer a 4x4? If so the droning could be your front actuator engaging the front differential. The clunking could be related in the front half shaft if it's worn out due to engagement of the diff. When the vacuum switch fails it will send vacuum to the front actuator which pulls a cable engaging the differential

Is your ABS light on? Could be the bearings/hubs. Little more info might help pin point the problem

Last edited by sky_blazer; 07-14-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

it may be your axle is going bad

Last edited by newguy; 07-14-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by sky_blazer
Is your Blazer a 4x4? If so the droning could be your front actuator engaging the front differential. The clunking could be related in the front half shaft if it's worn out due to engagement of the diff. When the vacuum switch fails it will send vacuum to the front actuator which pulls a cable engaging the differential

Is your ABS light on? Could be the bearings/hubs. Little more info might help pin point the problem
It's a 4x4 and there's no abs light, check engine or anything like that on.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

The 4x4 system in these vehicles is vacuum operated when you activate 4x4 the encoder motor activates and turns a peg on the transfer case which in turn presses on a ball to the switch mounted on the case itself opening up a passage way for engine vacuum to travel to the front actuator under the battery tray which collapses a diagram allowing the attaching cable to be pulled engaging a coupling on the front differential. The problem with it is when those switches fail the path way to the actuator will always be open so it will always be engaged burning out the front diff quicker, also if the TC becomes overfilled by the transmission rear seal failing and fluid entering the TC fluid will eventually be sucked into your HVAC system then you have real problems.

I'm not saying this is your problem but it wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level in TC, and checking the actuator while engine is running. Do this by starting truck and carefully removing battery and tray to see the actuator. If diaphragm is sucked in then vacuum is present, replace that switch.

It was also mentioned that the power steering pump could be the problem I would start there first, if that's fine I would start checking the 4x4 system I just mentioned next.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member

I'll start with the power steering pump as recommended. If it were the 4x4 system do you think it would only make the noise when turning right like mine does or would it be a constant noise?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Jalmquist125
I'll start with the power steering pump as recommended. If it were the 4x4 system do you think it would only make the noise when turning right like mine does or would it be a constant noise?
Probably constant and be more noticeable at higher speeds

Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by sky_blazer
Probably constant and be more noticeable at higher speeds
It is more noticeable at high speeds but only when I turn the wheel to the right which also seems to be the area the sound is coming from. When I straighten the wheel or turn to the left it doesn't make any noise at all, just acts perfectly normal.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member

Also would both switches need to be replaced? The one on the t-case itself as well as the front actuator under the battery tray?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Jalmquist125
Also would both switches need to be replaced? The one on the t-case itself as well as the front actuator under the battery tray?
If the front actuator needs to be replaced there would not be vacuum pulling the cable to engage the front differential. If your problem is the front engagement of the differential then I would suspect the switch before the actuator. Also does your 4x4 work when you turn it on? If so then your actuator should be working and it's the switch. I think you can find them at AutoZone or dealer can't remember part number

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer whining/droning while turning