2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member
MrRox is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer won't start

Hey everyone. I parked it last night (light rain) and it was fine. Came out to use it today and it won't start. It cranks but doesn't kick over. After several attempts I stopped trying but in the process it did seem like it was about to kick over a few times but it never did. I am not mechanically inclined and it being Sunday I am out of luck until tomorrow. My auto shop is only a few blocks away and vehicle will need to be towed there but I do believe if I get it repaired there the tow is free. I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas on what might be wrong so I don't get scammed.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

First thing I would do is pull the distributor cap and make sure there is no moisture collected inside there. You might want to use a hair dryer to blow it out.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

hey man if it is not making a attempt to turn over it may be the fuel pump
have you noticed that you have to crank it more in the mornings to get it to start
running a little rough?
not accelerating as fast?
i just replaced mine this weekend
it was a very expensive 900 buck repair
hopefully its cheaper in your area

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member

I just got the vehicle 2 weeks ago. I have a 60 day warantee. I live in Bronx, NY and the shop that would be dong the work is in Brooklyn. I would need to take the vehicle there on a tow. Would probably cost me more than the actual parts. I spoke to them and they suggested I bang on the fuel tank. I have read that in some threads here. I will also check out the cap.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try some starting fluid. If that allows it to start, then you have a fuel problem. If not, then you likely have an ignition (spark) problem.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the tips. I went out this morning before heading to work and gave it another try. It was not an easy start but it did start. Drove to work, shut it off and wouldn't you know, it started like nothing happened. Left work and it started right up again. WTF? Dropped it off at the mechanic so he can have a look. Wires look old(two-toned). He said if it needs a tuneup it's going to cost me because of where everything is situated. Is this true? He said I got myself into a car that's not going to be cheap on repairs. What have I gotten myself into? He is going to look into some possibilities on why it wouldn't start and get back to me with prices. Will post when I know.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he is BS'ing you into a larger bill than you deserve. Most parts are cheap and the work required to replace them is not all that bad. You could do a tune up with relative ease in your driveway with a jack, jack stands, and a good socket set. Oh and you will need a set of torx screw drivers for the distributor cap, IIRC.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

X2 on that. Have you looked under the hood of any modern vehicles with anything larger than a 4banger? Ain't nothin' like it used to be.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again guys. When I was there earlier he told me it looks like I needed to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. He called me to confirm that and also needed a tuneup. He said it would be cheaper if I did them together. Any suggestions on what this may cost me? He is getting back to me on prices.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member
highrider44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude if I was you. I would go get your truck. He sounds shady man. Doing all the stuff he's talking about is super easy and you could do it yourself with the help of this web site

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer won't start