2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 blazer ZR2 how to you do a learn procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Charger67 is on a distinguished road

i think you are sending him off course with the cam sensor. You can unplug the dang thing and still start and drive the truck. Says right in the manual it isn't a critical piece to the ignition system.

He's got the dreaded wiring gremlin.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

A flashing SES light is indicating a misfire. The DTC will be in the "pending" file, more than likely P0300 through P0306. If that's the case, those DTC's are almost always caused by a fault in the secondary ignition system: Spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and ignition coil. Low fuel pressure and clogged fuel injectors can cause a lean misfire which can also set P0300 series DTC's. Checking fuel pressure and leakdown, along with an injector balance test, will confirm or deny a problem there.

If the crankshaft position sensor and or timing cover is moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the crankshaft position sensor relearn must be performed. It must be done with a capable scan tool. Keep in mind that if a fault is detected with the crankshaft position sensor or its wiring, a DTC will be set in memory and the SES light will come on, and stay on, until the fault is repaired. If there are no crankshaft position sensor DTC's in memory, or in the pending file, it's working properly.

The camshaft position sensor does not have a relearn procedure. As mentioned, you can disconnect the sensor and the engine will still perform properly. The PCM uses data from the camshaft position sensor, along with the crankshaft position sensor, to detect and identify which cylinder(s) are misfiring. The adjustment for the sensor is viewed only on a capable scan tool under "Camshaft Retard". The adjustment is done by slightly rotating the distributor.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member
david068513 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the cam sensor is hooked up right now after being changed and it will start and run for 10 min then die. Will that change if I unplug it or does it not matter? Also it ONLY flashed the ses light when it died. Not before or after. It would stumble light up, die and no codes would be in the computer. Nothing. In the igintion system everything is new but plugs and wires which I don't think that would cause the issue if it starts and runs fine for 10 min? already ordered a crank sensor but I'm not taking it to a dealer to have it scanned.I've spent enough money and they want a couple hundred and to tow it there to do a relearn. No thanks.

Why do you need to do a crank relearn anyway? What happens if you don't? Will it run and drive still?

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-21-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: *COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS* Please use the edit function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Rules are Rules.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The cam and crank sensors are not causing the problem. If you replace the crank sensor, and don't do the relearn, you will be creating another problem, along with spending time and money needlessly.

As for ignition: These engines are very fussy when it comes to secondary ignition parts, especially spark plugs, cap & rotor. Parts other than AC Delco will cause problems.

If fuel pressure is low, it can cause symptoms like you described, without setting a DTC in memory. Check fuel pressure and leakdown

Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running: Pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member

Ok thank you. I'll check the fuel tomorrow or sun when home.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by david068513
Why do you need to do a crank relearn anyway? What happens if you don't? Will it run and drive still?
The relearn synchronizes the sensor with the crankshaft so the PCM "knows" exactly where the crankshaft is in its rotation. It's actually reference point for the PCM to base all of it's data from and make adjustments, much like the throttle position sensor needs to report a certain voltage when the throttle is closed and the camshaft position reports exactly where the camshaft is in its rotation, it all needs to be correct. Crankshaft position sensor data must be correct for accurate injector timing, ignition timing, and cylinder misfire identification, etc. If the relearn is not performed, the PCM uses relearn data from the previous relearn, which is now incorrect, guaranteed. Also, if the relearn is not performed, the engine will still run, but obviously not properly. The PCM is a computer: if you supply it with incorrect data, it will supply the engine with incorrect adjustments.... junk in, junk out.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member

I'm guessing it's fuel since it will start and run for a few min. I'll see if I can take a video and if it will start later

Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Don't forget to check the fuel filter for restriction.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Beginning Member

The fuel filter was changed a few days ago. Brand new. Only ran for a few min.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

As always, the captain is correct. I doubt the sensor that you changed is causing your problems, but you should have a relearn done. Like I said earlier, do the fuel pressure and leakdown, then go for a relearn.

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer ZR2 how to you do a learn procedure?