2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Bravada Transfer case ?'s/issues?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member
oshkosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Bravada Transfer case ?'s/issues?'s

Hello,
Not sure I like the feel of my 2000 Bravada in tight quarters,I think it maybe having issues as I cannot believe this is normal.
Here are the symptoms;when parking or backing up and turning it feels like the front axle is engaged and binding? Kind of like the old GM's with the hubs locked in...
After leaving a parking space it takes about 50' for it to come out of it?
Any ideas? I am in the process of running to Napa to see if they have the Auto Trak fluid and I will change that to start with.
It has been doing this since we purchased it 6,000 miles ago(Has 81,000 now)Just doesn't feel right for a "Luxury" Blazer.
Thank You in advance...

Last edited by oshkosh; 08-15-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AutoTrak 2 fluid from the dealer ONLY! DO NOT try to substitute any other fluid in there. No single company out there guarantees their fluids will work with the clutches in these transfer cases. And given that the clutches are $$$, I would not mess with it for the $5-7 per quart of fluid (just under 2 qts required).

It should not be binding. My old 2k Bravada did it before I changed the transfer case fluid as well. Heck, my '04 Rainier does it sometimes, but it typically is when I slip a little on gravel while turning out of a parking spot. It does not stay engaged for long though, but there are some things that will trigger a front axle engagement when you do not want it to.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member

Thank You for the insight...
That was going to be my next question after reading every bottle at the local Napa(Any substitutions).
Guess I will have to wait till Monday to flush it...
It has acted this way this since we purchased the suv. It does it more after backing out of a spot.Reminds me of my ole GMC 1ton 4x4 with the hubs locked in,only a little less harsh.lol
I am assuming that the local garage that took care of it probably used atf or whatever as my aftermarket manual doesn't specify for the NP136..

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member

Update, while the trans was pulled I had them flush the transfer case and fill with the correct fluid it is a 100% better now.
Thanks