Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

What I learned replacing a Transfer Case 94 Bravada

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Jonathan J. Janacek is on a distinguished road
Default What I learned replacing a Transfer Case 94 Bravada

Problem: While making left hand turns, I heard a popping noise coming from under the car. I thought at first it was the drivers side CV Axle, but after replacing it, still had the same noise. A shop mechanic told me my chain in my transfer case was slipping. I found a used one on E-bay for $275. It came from a salvage yard. I was told it was from a 95 Jimmy and would fit my 94 Bravada.

So, here are a few things I learned in this process.
1. Have a universal joint (knuckle) and a few extensions handy for getting into the tight places around the transfer case. The bolts are a little challenging. There are 5 bolts. 2 on each side and one on the bottom.
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE the crossmember, the torsion bars are attached to this.
2. There is a 3/4" support rod that runs down the drivers side to the T-case. I assume this is to prevent it from torquing and breaking bolts. There are 2 bolts that hold the bracket onto the t-case. Before you can remove the upper bolt, you have to remove a bolt that holds the bracket to the support rod. This MUST be removed b/c the bolt blocks you from getting to the bolt on the transfer case. And don't try to remove the support rod from the vehicle, it's not easy.
3. CHECK EVERYTHING on the new transfer case before installing. I checked all the model numbers, but failed to check the bolt pattern for the mounting plate to the front drive shaft. The last thing I did before filling up the t-case with fluid was to try and install the front driveshaft. The bolt pattern didn't line up. Luckily, the mounting bracket was held on with a large 1+" nut. I had to use an impact driver to remove it b/c I couldn't hold onto any of the outputs strong enough to break the nut lose by hand. I swapped it with the old mounting plate and installed it on the new unit, problem solved, but would have been easier if I did not already have the t-case installed.
4. The bolts holding the front driveshaft to the transfer case are star torque bolts. A 7/16" closed end wrench and socket will remove them, but it's not easy.
5. There is a gasket between the t-case and the transmission. I checked 3 stores and no one could get one, much less even find it in their system. I used black gasket maker...this gasket pretty much just stops dust from getting between the 2 parts, no fluid actually makes contact to the gasket.
6. The T-case hold 3 pints of fluid, or 1.5 quarts. You will need some kind of hand pump to get the fluid in at the top of the t-case.

The hardest part of the whole thing was literally lifting the transfer case into place and sliding it onto the spindle. This thing is freakin heavy to try and lift by yourself, but it can be done. I hope this helps someone else.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Good for any S10 or Blazer! I'm sure this will help a few guys out.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Great job....but im wondering...I thought the
Bravada had AWD which has a different TC.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
Great job....but im wondering...I thought the
Bravada had AWD which has a different TC.
Different TC, yes, but there is very little difference in how they mount.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

True but I was going by the part description
"1995 Jimmy" transfer case.....
Jimmys did not have AWD...

Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Jonathan J. Janacek is on a distinguished road

Well, I might be totally wrong about all of this, but I believe the TC is the same, but the vehicle engages/disengages the 4x4 in the Jimmy at the front differential, not the transfer case.

All that said, I've been driving with the new TC for a year now and haven't had any problems.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The AWD transfer case, (NV136) is a single speed case. It came standard on Bravada, and optional on all other T series vehicles. It has a clutch pack that applies power to the front differential when wheel slip is detected. The front differential is always engaged.

The NV233 is a two speed selectable electric shift case and is much more versatile than the NV136. 2WD & 4WD mode and range shifts are done in the transfer case. The front differential is engaged using a vacuum actuator only in 4WD. In 2WD the front differential is not powered allowing for better fuel economy.

The NV236 case is a "blend" of the NV136 and the NV233. It has the same features as the NV233, plus it has AWD, (like the NV136) when "Auto" is selected.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Missed the part where he used a TC from a Jimmy, but just like the were AWD Blazers in that time period, there may have been a AWD Jimmy option as well.

With the system your truck came with originally, the BW4472/BW1372 transfer case delivered a 70/30 (or somewhere there about) torque split rear/front. The selectable 4wd transfer cases found in most s-series vehicles at the time were either in 2wd mode or locked into 4wd (50/50 torque split) the front axle on those vehicles would disconnect when in 2wd for added efficiency.

What are the numbers found on the aluminum nameplate of the replacement TC. The nameplate will be in the back of the TC. Your truck should have a borg-warner unit mentioned above and below.

The NV136 didn't come into play until 1998. The BW4472/BW1372 was used from the early 90's up to and including 1997 in all of the s-series and medium sized van AWD applications.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Starting Member
Riajones is on a distinguished road

I'm working on a 97 jimmy. Just swapped the trans and had a guy helping. Now he is too busy, I have the trans in and the torque converter bolted to the flywheel. And...I can't get the transfer case back in because it won't clear the long rod that sticks out. I have taken the exhaust off already do I need to take anything else off or how do I angle it? Any help is appreciated. I got left high and dry without a clue. HELP!