2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer - Bizarre Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Starting Member
wiredfreak is on a distinguished road
Question 2001 Blazer - Bizarre Electrical Issue

Ok, I've searched through this site, Google, Bing, Yahoo and everything else I could come up with and I've had answers to this ranging from being the BCM, BRM, Multiswitch, headlamp switch, etc... But none of these have checked out so far and none of the posts I've come across quite match up with the symptoms I've got...

So... On with the show! It started out simply enough. The cluster would just go dead, the headlights would turn off (auto doesn't work either), the radio died, locks don't work. This was my spare vehicle, so I didn't really think much of it... I just drove it during the day when I really need it for something.

Now, I need to get it fixed because my 2nd spare vehicle has fuel delivery issues (we won't get into that here, I know it's the fuel pump)... And now I need to be able to drive it at night.

I've gotten a bit more serious about fixing it. I've already replaced the multiswitch. The headlight switch checks out. The BCM seems to check out. The only thing I haven't torn apart yet is the BRM, but I don't really think it's that either after my latest discovery (which I'll get to in a moment).

I took a test probe to the interior fuse panel... I don't have power on the following fuses, and they're all clustered together:

7 - HDLP SW
13 - AUX PWR
19 - RDO BATT

2 - CIGAR
8 - CTSY LP
14 - PWR LKS
20 - AMPF

I also have no power in the under-hood fuse block at any of the HDLP fuses nor the HDLP relay...

Until... And here's the bizarre part... Until I pull the Flash to Pass/High/Low Beam stick on the multiswitch.

As soon as I do, EVERYTHING lights up and works and I have power at all the aforementioned fuse/relay locations... But I can't exactly drive around like this and I can't understand how or WHY pulling this switch brings everything to life. I found this out quite by accident a couple of days ago and happened to pull the switch just to see what would happen.

It's nearly impossible for me to trace down where all these fuses and systems intersect with the information I have available and I can't simply start disassembling the entire vehicle just to trace down wiring harnesses. There must be a common bus where these all connect/intersect that isn't getting power or... SOMETHING... But I can't for the life of me find it.

Most, if not all, of these fuses should have power at all times according to the information I've come across.

Any ideas? What additional information/tests can I provide? I'm usually pretty good tracing down electrical issues, but this one is eluding me.

-Kevin