2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer LT

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Starting Member
Blazers is on a distinguished road
Angry 2001 Blazer LT

I bought this beauty a year and a half ago and seeing as I'm about to cross 106,000 miles I'm trying to get the most of her (Student Loans are evil.) and a while back she had an issue when she decided to just not start. We assumed I had let it run out of gas by mistake and it turns out to be a bad fuel pump. Off to Amazon I went and it was replaced. It was doing fine for maybe a couple weeks at most and since then (6ish Months) it has decided to choose when it wants to turn over. It will start in the morning and drive fine. I'll park it at school or work and depending on the amount of time it will either start (1hr45mins-9hrs left alone) or not (like if I shut it off to get gas or run in and out of somewhere) I have to sit there and turn the key a few times until I hear the fuel pump wine at a high pitch. When I turn the key over Ill hear it wine but it's only when the wine is higher that it actually starts. Other then that and a few cosmetic issues she does me wonders. Any ideas? Codes don't come back with anything thing that seems to be an issue.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a high resistance problem given that HEAT is involved here, but first need to check fuel pressure and verify that it is a fuel related problem, if you can verify low pressure until you get the high pitch pump whine then the next thing you need to check is the wiring to the pump, voltage drop testing is the best, if you just test for power with a volt meter you can get 12 volts but the circuit may not actually be able to carry any load due to corrosion or bad connection. Check out this video, this guy goes through this pretty thoroughly, its a 3 part series so watch all 3
(I just Re-watched the first one and its 15 minutes of blah blah talking, skip ahead to the second video about half way through if you get bored or just watch for educational purpose?) If you get good results at the pump connector on top of the tank then you probably have an issue with the pump. Probably charred or melted wires like this guy finds in the video.

One more thing before you get too deep into it, did you use a Delphi Pump, or was it an Airtex or some no-name brand? Some people have good luck with aftermarket pumps but most mechanics will tell you to use the Delphi, not that Delphis dont EVER have problems but most other aftermarkets do have a lot more issues, many times not even pumping spec pressure right out of the box, I usually refer to them as 6 month pumps, that could point you in the right direction quicker.

Let me know what you find.
Good Luck!

Last edited by DimeBlazr; 04-14-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
erics9971 is on a distinguished road

Maybe the fuel filter is clogged? Did you replace that when you did the pump? If it is clogged the fuel pump might have to work hard to push fuel to your engine. If you don't fix it soon then the fuel pump might burn up faster than it is supposed to.