2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member
PhantomBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer starting issues

Hey all, new here. Hoping you can help with my problem. Went out to start my 2001 Blazer and it turns over but doesn't catch. I've verified fuel is getting to the engine, good battery, and already replaced the ignition coil. I have spark from the coil at the distributor cap, but no spark at the spark plugs. Is this a bad distributor cap and rotor issue?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yes. Use AC Delco parts only, D328A & D465.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the advice. Any particular reason for AC Delco?

Also, I'm up to about 116,000 miles. Guess its time for new spark plugs and wires as well while I'm in there? Any recommendations on that?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

It's due for plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, and both front oxygen sensors at 100K miles. If it hasn't been done, it needs it.

These engines are very fussy when it comes to tune up parts. Aftermarket stuff doesn't perform well or last nearly as long as AC Delco. The cap, rotor and plugs really need to be AC Delco. The spark plugs are AC Delco #41-993 with a gap of .060" Plug wires need to be a name brand like Autolite, Belden, AC Delco, not a store brand like Duralast etc. As for the oxygen sensors, AC Delco and Denso are both good brands. Denso sensors have a faster reaction time and they're cheaper, but they don't last quite as long as AC Delco.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I replaced the cap and rotor and still no go. The was a bunch of corrosion in it and a hole in the cap, so I think it needed it. It sounds so close to wanting to start. It was outside this past week in the arctic freeze we had. It seems like it is very wet under the hood. Could the excess moisture be causing the no start or is it something else? I no I have gas but haven't verified the pressure. Should that also be checked?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

I should note that we do have a spark at the plugs now as well.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

do a fuel pressure and leak down test.

key on, engine off, fuel pressure would be around 62psi, and should not leak down past 55psi in 10 min

Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, not sure if its the fuel. We sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and it didn't start. Shouldn't it have started with the fluid even if there was a fuel issue? I am looking into getting a fuel pressure gauge and will probably still do the test. Could it be an issue with the actual spark plugs? We tested the spark by letting the wire spark against the exhaust manifold and we have a spark there.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
Biersly is on a distinguished road

What color is your spark? nice bright blue or an orange color? And did you test for spark through the spark plug too, or just the wire with a screwdriver inserted where the plug goes and then touching it a ground source? If you just used a screwdriver blade method, how far are you able to get from the ground source before it stops sparking? You should be able to get about a half inch or so away from the ground source before it won't jump any more. If the spark is blue, that's a nice color, if the spark is an orange color, that indicates a weak spark and when under compression i.e. installed and engine turning over, won't have enough current to make the jump and igniting the fuel. Just because you replaced the ignition coil, doesn't mean it's good. I believe there is a way of testing those, I just don't remember how. I'd use the search option in this forum to find out.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Beginning Member

Well I eventually went out to do some more testing and I just thought why don't I try starting it one more time cause I felt like it was the distributor cap and it was really wet in the engine compartment. Voila! It started! Thanks for all the advice! Now onto the next issue, which is going to be it's own thread if I don't find anything like it already on here.

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer starting issues