2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer Sticking Valve?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What an expensive PITA!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
What an expensive PITA!
Yeah, it's been a joy to own so far!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Just ordered the 12491869 GM crate engine from Jegs for $2059 no tax no core free ship. Seemed like a pretty good price and it has a good warranty. I'm really tired of working on this vehicle and Jeg's has one ready to ship.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Just ordered the 12491869 GM crate engine from Jegs for $2059 no tax no core free ship. Seemed like a pretty good price and it has a good warranty. I'm really tired of working on this vehicle and Jeg's has one ready to ship.
Awesome choice sir!!!! soo I gotta ask what gives??? Why the change of heart? If I were u , I would replace oil cooler lines and radiator as well...... To hell with flushing them!!! They are cheap enough, anyhow most companies won't honor the warranty if u don't change the lines at least.......

Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
Awesome choice sir!!!! soo I gotta ask what gives??? Why the change of heart?
Discussion with new machinist. He even wanted to disassemble heads to check guides for wear from the metal particles and was planning to line hone and resize rods again as a matter of course. All was looking to be really expensive for the second time and I'm sure he would have done a fine job. But time frame to finish was 3-4 weeks plus I needed to reassemble. That and the warranty changed my mind. I just want to stop working on it and start driving it.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:22 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Discussion with new machinist. He even wanted to disassemble heads to check guides for wear from the metal particles and was planning to line hone and resize rods again as a matter of course. All was looking to be really expensive for the second time and I'm sure he would have done a fine job. But time frame to finish was 3-4 weeks plus I needed to reassemble. That and the warranty changed my mind. I just want to stop working on it and start driving it.
Ah yes I see.... Time to drive not not work on it!!!!!!! I've put 1700 miles on mine since I had heads reworked.......I'm starting to really like the trk!! hell , I thought when u payed all that $$$ the first time that included them assembling the damn thing too!!???? But 2k for a gm crate motor is reasonable, and will be a far better built motor that any auto parts store motor will sell u......we found out that Marshall motors uses "brass" for their valve guides in their motors...... soo after chasing a misfire, it cost me $300 in machine work to have the heads redone........but I'm sure glad I wasn't the one to originally purchase the motor for my trk.....,, none the less, lesson learned for me it's either jasper or oem crate motor!!!!!! All the others can hang it up
keep us posted on your progress!!!!!! We all like to see pictures too , if u don't mind!!!!! Jeff

Old 06-02-2015, 01:25 PM

Well, I've been contemplating what the Mahle engineers said about debris in the oil of my newly rebuilt engine taking out the bearings, and I've discovered in my memory what I believe is a real slap myself in the forehead type screwup. Nobody's fault but my own.

I primed my newly rebuilt 4.3 engine with the same Jeg's oil priming tool I bought and used on the 383 that went into my S10 back in early 2015. Worked well. I do remember seeing grit falling onto my intake around the tool when doing the 383, and collecting there from the drill motor I was using to turn it. I remember thinking I'm sure glad that is sealed up so it doesn't get into the engine, and remember blowing it off of the intake with compressed air when I was done. Well, guess what......

When I did the 4.3 motor I decided to prime the oil system with the intake off so I could put the valve covers on and see the oil flowing out of each head and returning to the pan. And I primed for quite a while to make sure I was doing a good job of it!

Took my drill apart and it's full of grit from the brushes. Poor engine never had a chance. Makes me sad to have done something so stupid.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-02-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:18 AM

Finished up putting the timing cover/intake/oil pump/oil pan/valve covers/etc on the new engine yesterday and it is ready to install with the exception of the new oil cooler lines which will come tomorrow. Everything transferred from the old engine was washed/scrubbed/cleaned meticulously.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the GM rebuilt engine came with timing cover, oil pump/bolt, and choice of two different oil pickups. So there are some parts I ordered that I can send back.

Captain, I tried getting the hoses with compression fittings made locally at a hydraulic hose shop and was quoted $240. Got disgusted and just went ahead and ordered the GM ones off Amazon (15195578, 15194579) for $136 with tax.

Went ahead and got a brand new radiator so the oil cooler is brand new as well. Noted after the fact that installation instructions for this new engine specifically states to replace oil cooler if bearing failure happened on old engine. With new hoses and radiator, only old parts in the path for the oil cooler are the remote adapter on the engine and the remoted adapter for the oil filter itself. Going to replace check valve in the remote adapter so can get both of these things cleaned out properly.

After engine installation, oil pump will be primed with the intake manifold on this time!

Les

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-08-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

$240 for 2 lines and 4 compression fittings? Was he wearing a mask? What kind of gun did he have?

4 fittings 1/2" compression to 1/2" hydraulic, and 2 pieces of oil rated hydraulic hose about 14" long. The shop needs to make 4 crimps!
Name:  DSC_0001-Copy.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  66.6 KB

Old 06-09-2015, 05:46 AM

It was for both hose assemblies, before and after oil filter - 8 fittings + 4 hoses. Said he would be using A/C compression fittings that also have an o-ring and they were expensive. Unfortunately too expensive for me! Admittedly I didn't shop around any more and just went for the GM hoses as a simple solution. They should be as good as the originals, I suppose. Heard very bad things about the Dorman hoses.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-09-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer Sticking Valve?????