2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer ZR2 Poor Mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Beginning Member
nalgman is on a distinguished road
Default Water pump

Hello again

Today i replaced the water pump with a brand new. But when i finished the truck throw me a code ..p0300,the autozon guy say thats this is a jet problem, spark plugs,wires and all the electrical stuff. Because a misfire.the check engine light came off when i put in drive but the autozone says the p0300.
Also i notticed that my gas drops too much.im suspecting a leak in the spider .
Tomorrow ill do the pressure test because in sundays nobody works in here.

Te scanner thst i ordred .welll his because i dont want tO go to the autozone every time i feel somethings wrong. So this is a good tool. I hope

Well guys . If you have another guess just write me down

Thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
spittybays

If when your elm cable comes and you have trouble, it might not come with the disc to load the correct driver. Going to look if I still have the driver link to download. Took me like five hours to find it.
OK I got it. It's the skpang you need to download if yours does not work of the bat. Its the driver for most of the clone elm chips. http://www.skpang.co.uk/elm327_USB.htm then find the download for easyobdII. The shareware is free and can be upgraded on the cheap. Don't do any torrent downloads without some good cloud based antivirus in like hitman pro or panda.

Last edited by spittybays; 10-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member
Default pressure test

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
Yes, your fuel pressure should be between 60 and 65 and not go below 55 for 10 minutes. You do the test with the key on and engine off! If it holds pressure then your fuel system is ok. Get that o2 sensor and water pump replaced. Then do the fuel pressure test.
this is what i found....
because i dont have fuel pressure gauges,, i went to autozone. and there are some mechanics out of the store.. and ask if they can put a gauge in the fuel line to check...

so, the guy put the gauge without bleed the line... and i open the key... and the readings was 60.
then i turn off the key and the pressure drops very very low but drops to 40 or something...
note : this is for the First time Turning The key...

so i turn the key one more time and the readings was the same.. 60psi.
and turn off the key and the pressure drops like 54psi.. then slowly rise a little bit then reach slowly to 59.

we wait like 6 minutes and the readings was 58.
in the minute 8 was 56 or 55
in minute 12 or more the fuel drops 54... then 50..

and this is the final reading.. like 15 minutes of readings...

how is this ? good or bad..??

we didn't have time to check the fuel line in the filter.. because there was too many cars in wait for service...

so the guy ask me for 3 dlls for the readings... cheap...

im out of ideas... what im thinking.. maybe the fuel pump it's not in good shape too?

thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Beginning Member

well....
i drove the truck all the day. and it feels pretty good.
today i have replaced the cap and rotor. so there's a little more response.

i still have 3 problems...
1- in the AC controls and ventilation. i hear a "shhhhhhhhhhh" some air. vacum air.. is this affect in some way??

2- i have erratic fuel readings..when it is in Neutral or Parking.. the fuel gauge moves one or two marks maximum.
so this is drivin' me crazy.. some people say that it need to clean all the sending unit and other to replace it.. well, sending unit are just cables and contacts.. so these can be cleaned very well.

3- i haven't buy the O2 sensor that originally has crushed the wires.

well...
im low in money right now.. but i need to think more to get cheap...

thank you guys for all the advices..

Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

The erratic readings makes me think it might be a pump issue. The air sound in your dash is probably a vacuum issue . You can try a double dose of techron fuel system cleaner some people have luck with it cleaning the sending unit. Just be sure to use the concentrate. You can check for vacuum leaks by spraying brake fluid around the throttle body and listen for changes in the idle.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member
Default ..

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
The erratic readings makes me think it might be a pump issue. The air sound in your dash is probably a vacuum issue . You can try a double dose of techron fuel system cleaner some people have luck with it cleaning the sending unit. Just be sure to use the concentrate. You can check for vacuum leaks by spraying brake fluid around the throttle body and listen for changes in the idle.
hello Mr 50lb!

thanks for the tip for the erratic reading.. i have a fuel sensor that i already refurbished myself with another pieces and taking the multimeter and the readings are great and smooth. i'll install it when replace the pump...

the vacuum leak.. its from the AC ****.. i saw that 10 minutes a go..
maybe i have to replace it. tomorrow i'll go to the junk yard and i'll grab some other **** .

what do you think about the Fuel Gauge Readings? it's a reason that i have really bad gas mileage?

one last question... how many sensors we can clean and check to maintain the truck in shape...??

thank you! for all the tips and advices ...

Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Beginning Member
Default doubled my mileage...

after getting' my truck for several problems at start. then i do a full inspection of all sensors that came in my way...

so i cleaned the IAC (Carburetor spray), EGR (with EGR Spray), MAF (with Circuit cleaner), MAP (with Circuit Cleaner)...

and also.. i cleaned all the connections and pins. (with Contact Cleaner and a sharp tool to clean and bend all the contacts.)..

well.. after all this... i was getting after doing this. like 8mpg.. now im gettin 16mpg !!!!!!!!! average.. Highway and City..

so this is much better...

thanks guys for all the stuff and all the help...
I've learning too much in this time...