2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 long crank hard start

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
mnsajt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 long crank hard start

First post here. I have been searching the archives for a few days now & am finding possibilities, but not quite the right circumstances. We have a 2001 S-10 Blazer 4wd 4dr. It cranks & cranks when it is first tried to start in the mornings. It will eventually turn over & once it is running doesnt have a problem starting the rest of the day, but the next morning same thing happens again. We have only had this vehicle for a few weeks & they thought it was a battery problem so we changed out the battery. It didnt have the remote keyless entry fobs so we are planning on getting them from the dealer. The key that we originally had was hard to turn & worn so we already had new keys made. We have replaced plugs, cap & rotor. The security light only flashes before the key is in the ignition, not while cranking. Just got a fuel pressure gauge today & when checking it (itdidnt have a problem because the hard start was earlier this morning) it had in the 50s for pressure (forgot to write downexact) so we will be checking this weekend for cold start pressure.Was hoping that possibly there were threads that I had missed or someone could give me some advice as what to look for when checking the fuel pressure or what else it might be if pressure is fine.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:18 AM
black powder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2001 long crank hard start

change the FUEL FILTER ...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I think you need highhh 50s to 60 psi to start...if it's taking a long time to start, it might be the fuel pump not being able to prime quick enough. What if you turn the key forward to prime the pump, wait a couple seconds, then crank to start. Will it fire right up?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly what I was going to recommend. Turn the key on and wait until the pump shuts off, then repeat atleast once more and see if that helps If it does, then you have something leaking that is allowing the fuel pressure to leak down.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That means you've taught me something

Old 04-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I could only hope that all of this advice sinks in somewhere! LOL

Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Have tried the turning it, then waiting and still only cranks until something 'magical' must happen because there isnt aconsistant amount of cranking, waiting, pumping before it will start. However once it is started then it will turn over & startvery easily for the rest of the day even if waiting hours in betwen starts; until it has sat overnight again which makes it very hard to find what is causing the initial problem. I forgot to mention that the air filter was changed at same time as plugs, cap, rotor & it had oil change less than a month ago. Havent tried the fuel pressure testing on it cold yet & probably wont get to it until tomorrow, but I do appreciate the replys.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Added the stuff to the gas tank that is for cleaning fuel injectors too that we got from the dealer at the same time as when we had new keys made. The key that came with it couldnt be duplicated because it was too worn. We tried hardware store first because the key was a sloppy key & we thought that might have been the problem, but it wasnt that or the battery that we changed out. Thanks for the replys.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has not yet replied. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Added the stuff to the gas tank that is for cleaning fuel injectors too that we got from the dealer at the same time as when we had new keys made. The key that came with it couldnt be duplicated because it was too worn. We tried hardware store first because the key was a sloppy key & we thought that might have been the problem, but it wasnt that or the battery that we changed out. Thanks for the replys.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

After reading your other post about the 'payment reminder', which is a starter interrupt, and works similarly to an aftermarket security system, I think this might have a bearing on your cranking problem. Aftermarket security systems have been known to create starting issues in our trucks if they are not installed exactly correctly. I would take the truck to an authorized Chevy dealer and ask them to test the electrical continuity from the ignition cylinder all the way to the new starter that was installed to see if there might be a fault somewhere in the wiring. I think it may beworth a shot.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:29 PM

I was wondering ifthe history of having the 'payment reminder' could be part of the problem but wasnt sure which is why I put it in a different thread. The plan is to go back to the dealer (wont be same dealer that put in & took out 'payment reminder') to get the remote keyless fobs on Monday so was hoping to have either fixed or figured out the cranking problem by then & if not then to at least be able to tell the dealer where to start looking. Thanks for giving me the wording to tell them in case that is where our problem might be. (saturday)

Update (sunday)~ last nightdid the fuel pressuretesting on cold cranking & it was in the 40s even when it eventually turned over. Then after it starts it is 55 & stays at 55 when starting again. Thenchanged out the fuel filter. It had gunk in it, probably stuff that the fuel injector cleaner had knocked loose. Thought that might be good sign of finding the answer to the problem. This morning found out that we still have the same problem. Fuel pressure shows 40s until it has been started after many cranks. Noticed one thing that not sure if it was doing it before or not that the fuel pressure gauge is bouncing from mid-tank towards full when idling & when pushing on the gas still does a little bouncing forward (towards full).

Quick Reply: 2001 long crank hard start