2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 not started 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member
Chuck750ss is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 not started 2 years

2001 blazer that was parked a couple of years ago. Tank nearly empty. I added two gallons. Motor turns over fine, but does not start. Advice on what to do. Owner stated it was running fine when he parked it.
Does have a smell like old gas after I attempted to crank it. Stopped trying to keep from overheating starter.
any advice appreciated.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:02 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

You could disconnect the fuel line under the hood and connect a tube to it and run the pump 'til the old gas was out. I am not very familiar with these engines but I believe I heard that ether is bad, though I don't know why.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I connect a line to the fuel Schrader on top of the engine, then energize the fuel pump and pump all the gas out of the tank. Then I pour about a half a gallon in and pump that out to try to dilute the gunk in the bottom of the tank. Then pour in a few gallons of fresh fuel . Once you’ve done that it can take a little while to get it to start because the injectors are gummy etc. If that doesn’t work make sure you’ve got adequate fuel pressure and spark.

By the way ethanol gas that goes bad smells like varnish

George

Old 06-18-2021, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys. Will look at that tomorrow. Definitely had the old gas varnish smell.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Once you've gotten the bad gas out, you might try a little seafoam in with the gas. Mix it before putting it into the tank. Research and make sure that the seafoam won't hurt that setup though. I can tell you it works great in carburated engines.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:46 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

After all that done I would suggest to put a new fuel filter in as well.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:45 AM
Starting Member
GenericUninspiredUsername is on a distinguished road

So if it ran a few years ago, everything mechanically should be fine. Does it have spark? If it's been outside mice could have gotten to some wiring. However, I'm also with everyone else in the fact that cleaning out the tank and replacing the filter is a good place to start.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:08 PM
Beginning Member

Ok guys. Got good fuel. Replaced filter after draining and flushing tank. Now, before I tried to start it, I took breather duck loose from throttle body. Manually opened and shot one small shot of ether in . Turned engine over it hit and ran on the ether. Waited until wife could come help me. Got her to crank and I did the ether thing. Doesn’t even try to run.
What should I look at next?
BTW, I know to be very careful using starting fluid. 63 years old and have been dealing with it since I was a teenager. Just throwing that in to let you guys know that I know to be careful when using the stuff.
Thanks in advance. Do appreciate the advice.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I am not clear on what you have:

I assume it will not run on its own?

I assume that it will not run on ether?

Have you done the fuel pressure test in the sticky and if so, what did you find?

Do you have spark at the plugs? If not, do you have spark at the coil?

George

Old 06-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

George I started with emptying the gas tank. Put some fresh gas in, emptied that. Put more gas in tank and changed fuel filter. After I did that, I removed inlet duct from throttle body. I manually opened throttle body, squirted on small shot of ether in. Then cranked engine. Engine momentarily ran on the single shot of ether. I then waited until my wife could assist me. I had her crank engine while holding accelerator pedal down just enough for me to spray ether while she turned engine over. Engine does not attempt to run.
I have not checked for spark. I assumed since it momentarily ran that it is firing.
I have not done fuel pressure test.
I am assuming that it would run on ether if it is firing.
I am a retired millwright so I know that it is better to ask questions from those that are knowledgeable vs me starting ***** nilly checking different things.
Any advice is appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2001 not started 2 years