2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 Factory Sun Roof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough
Default 2002 Factory Sun Roof Problem

The PO of this vehicle closed the sun roof, put tape over the hole in the seal and disconnected the switch. I have found that there are plastic guides that attach to two rods (one on each side) that slide in the track. One of those plastic pieces is completely missing and the other is broken. If I hadn't found the broken piece I would be more clueless than I am on this so I guess finding one is a good thing. Questions are, can I get these pieces somewhere? Part number? Any schematics on how they go in? And what about getting a new seal for the glass?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2021, 04:44 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As an owner of the same as you, I know exactly what you are referring to....and I have never been able to find anything about the sunroofs in our Blazers. The same piece is broken on mine. I no longer open it anymore for fear of something else breaking...and I would rather have it closed and broken than open and broken.

If you find something....please share.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
As an owner of the same as you, I know exactly what you are referring to....and I have never been able to find anything about the sunroofs in our Blazers. The same piece is broken on mine. I no longer open it anymore for fear of something else breaking...and I would rather have it closed and broken than open and broken.

If you find something....please share.
I did find repair kits on fleabay but I am not having any luck finding how to replace them. If I do find anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:26 PM

OK, making progress on this. To remove the sunroof glass, just remove four torx screws, two on each side. They are readily accessibly from inside the car with the glass in the lifted position and the glass lifts straight out. Then slide the cover out the front. There are slots that let it out but it's a little bit of a push to make it happen. Then, get a set of grabbers and reach back through the slot and bring the cross member with the two plastic slides (one on each end) up into the hole in the roof. You might be able to get it with a coat hanger or stiff wire but I have a set of grabbers and they worked. Once that's up in the hole, remove the two screws (one on each side) that hold the cross member to the two plastic glides (what's left of them anyway) and pull that out. The slides come out with some force, through the notches that you'll see there. Breaking them isn't a worry because they're already broken but they don't break anyway. I ordered rebuild kit off of fleabay as I couldn't find just the slides, even though they have part numbers on them.

Is there supposed to be an integrated air deflector that pops up in the front when the sunroof opens? And is there a supplier for that gasket that wraps around the glass?

Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 AM

Have to say I never tried doing a search on ebay for "Blazer sunroof"...I did and found the rebuild kits.....amazing.

So let me know how the install goes...how the kit fits....and any problems.....

And yes there is a pop-up wind deflector....well....mine has this.

Thanks for the info above....

Old 04-06-2021, 08:07 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I used the sunroofdoctor.com and they were fast and knowledgeableabout fixing my sunroof on my 2001

Old 04-08-2021, 01:39 PM

Soooo....looked at the sunroofdoctor.com.....their repair kits sure looks like the same as those on ebay...except sunroofdoctor want $109...ebay $40. Look to be the same parts in the kit.

Walleye Hunter----how goes progress??

Old 04-08-2021, 05:03 PM

So...to replace the plastic parts that are broken you need to drop the headliner, unbolt the back end of the sunroof tracks, drill out three rivets on each side and the stuff slides out the back and back in. What I need to know now is, how do you get both sides of the thing to be in sync with each other? The one on the left does not stop at the same place that the one on the right does. Is this what they call 'the timing?

Old 04-09-2021, 09:56 AM

Do not have the answer for you. But I thought that one side was attached to the motor and the other side just slid freely with the glass tying the two sides together.

Perhaps this is the reason to go with thesunroofdoctor....get someone to ask questions of.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:23 AM

I appear to have it all fingered out and I'll try to make a short video outlining the job. Both sides are definitely operated by the motor.

Quick Reply: 2002 Factory Sun Roof Problem