2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2003 Spider Injection Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:39 PM
kitereh is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 Spider Injection Troubles

Hi, I am currently trying to replace the spider injection on my 2003 Blazer. I have the upper plenum off and am looking at the spider assembly. The issue I am having is with removing the poppets from the injectors. The older assemblies had clips to squeeze that would allow you to easily remove the poppets, these don't and I am having trouble figuring out how to remove them without breaking anything. I am attaching pics, sorry for the poor lighting.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Spider Injection Troubles-img_20141221_171437.jpg   2003 Spider Injection Troubles-img_20141221_171503.jpg   2003 Spider Injection Troubles-img_20141221_171541.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The new style injectors snap into the intake manifold very easily, unfortunately, they don't come out so nice, (like the old style CMFI and CSFI poppet nozzels). If you can't wiggle them out, the lower intake will need to be removed. Then you can get at the "business" end of the injector to push it out. If you end up going that route, make sure you use the Felpro MS98002T gasket set.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:51 PM

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Help??? More like bad news, sorry

When it comes time, let us know. Several do's and don'ts when doing lower intake gaskets on these.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the injectors? These injectors are an upgrade for the 1996 through 2002 engines with CSFI, and problems with them are unheard of. 2003 through 2005 came standard from the factory with the upgraded injector assembly.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-21-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 AM

I can't get it started. The fuel pump is practically brand new and I'm getting 55-60psi at the test valve then a quick drop to 0psi.
It acts like it wants to turn over but just doesn't. It's been a slowly developing problem over the last three months with it getting harder and harder to start. I've replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition coil, had the ICM tested and came back fine. All my sensors seem to be working ok, I'm not throwing codes anyway.

THe massive drop in pressure is pointing me to a leak in the intake, either the fuel pressure regulator or the injectors. I was planning on just doing the regulator but since I've gotten this far into it I figured I might as well just do the whole thing so I never have to think about it again but if they have that good of a track record then maybe I'll leave it alone.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:31 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

kitereh, how many miles are on your Blazer? I have the same year, and likely the same injectors. Hopefully I can get rid of it before I have injector issues.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

From the pictures what you have is the updated style of injectors not poppet valves. Not sure what year they started using the MPI injectors but these may have been replaced once already unless you have owned the vehicle since new and know they havent. You also need to check fuel pressure at the fuel filter before the filter. Could be the pump check valve is not holding and not a spider issue. You could end up replacing the spider and still have the same condition.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 AM

55-60psi at the service port is definitely a problem. With those readings, the problem could be in the plenum or in the tank. Checking fuel pressure & leakdown at the fuel filter outlet will tell you where the problem is. Just because the pump is new, doesn't mean it's good. You'll need an adapter that goes from the fuel filter outlet directly to the fuel pressure tester. All pressure & flow must end at the tester, with no fuel allowed to the engine. While the pump is running, pressure must be 73-108psi, and it must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Here is a parts list for building the adapter:

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Spider Injection Troubles-1997andneweradapterforcheckingfuelpump_zps5c876ad4.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-22-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by kmartin
kitereh, how many miles are on your Blazer? I have the same year, and likely the same injectors. Hopefully I can get rid of it before I have injector issues.
170K If it is the injectors I will let you know. They weren't my first suspect though. It's more than likely a regulator or fuel pump issue. The injectors started going out out on my 94 Blazer and I was still able to start and drive it. After reading some of these replies I am starting to think that the pump is the culprit.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg64
From the pictures what you have is the updated style of injectors not poppet valves. Not sure what year they started using the MPI injectors but these may have been replaced once already unless you have owned the vehicle since new and know they havent. You also need to check fuel pressure at the fuel filter before the filter. Could be the pump check valve is not holding and not a spider issue. You could end up replacing the spider and still have the same condition.
2003 was the first year with the update from what i've read. And it is sounding like a pump issue

Quick Reply: 2003 Spider Injection Troubles