2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2005 Blazer 4wd Drive Train Shutter while in OD

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Not sure where you came up with the steps in post #50, they are not correct, don't use them.

For fuel pressure and leakdown, follow the steps outlined in post #48. Don't turn the igntion on while testing, use the jumper wire.

As for the distributor hold down, it's not the bolt that you're modifying or replacing, it's the hold down bracket. You can reuse the original hold down bolt.

As for the spark plugs: The dab of paint on the end of them means they are original. They are 41-932's which is double platinum. They were discontinued and replaced with 41-993, double iridium, (better plug).

Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road

Ok understood about post #50 being wrong, most videos I watched people just used the key to get reading fuel rail except for some that had the ability to short across fuel pump pic. I'm going to meet my friend for scanning the truck now, will post results. The plugs pic were just to show you the burn inside engine, thought maybe you could see if one was lean/rich. THANKS!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Starting Member

UPDATE:

Well I regret to inform that the apprentice's scan tool doesn't have that ability. Crap. He checked fuel trim and misfire at idle, and it checked out perfect. He said obviously he couldn't check at highway speed the fuel trim but didn't notice a miss fire or anything out of the ordinary. It was only a brief look though.

Soo I've ran out of friends who could scan it for this setting you need. I'll try and see if I can locate a shop to help me check this or if I start my job, I'll buy the $275 laptop software you advised.

So we may as well move on to fuel pressure test and leak down test. I'll review how some videos on how to use the relay panel to trigger fuel pump. I don't know what I need to buy to do this...It appears it is different from the actual gauge.

Last edited by joejiz; 03-12-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

For the fuel pressure, all you need is a tester like this: Actron® Most auto parts stores sell them for around $40. To activate the pump, you'll need a piece of 14 gauge wire, nothing fancy. Best to have a fuse in it, but not mandatory.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Starting Member

Just gonna order this from amazon.ca and should be here in 5 business days. No one rents them here in Canada, Princess Auto or Canadian Tire.

I have an Acton compression tester for my Pontiac engine I use for the cylinders but from I understand I CAN'T USE THIS with an adapter for fuel pressure. Correct right?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Correct. A compression tester is not accurate enough for fuel system pressure.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Starting Member

The Acton tool has arrived! I will be heading out there to pull the fuse panel box cover off. I also have some wire in my electrical box and will most likely reach from fuse box to battery to trigger the pump. Just need a little more info. So far I have the following things in my head.

1) rag near shraeder valve
2) engine cold
3) Install gauge onto valve, tighten well
4) locate fuse location as per picture in previous post
5) Put wire in fuse location and run up to battery positive or negative terminal for 5 seconds then remove wire?

I'll review your post now.

Ah okay, I get it:

Can you let me know what fuse I should use? a 20 amp glass fuse?

Connect one end of a fused jumper wire to battery positive.
Connect the other end to the pump prime terminal.
After fuel pressure stabilizes, write down the reading.
Remove the jumper wire.
Wait 10 minutes and write down the pressure reading.
Post both readings.

Last edited by joejiz; 03-24-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM

The fuse is used so the wiring in the vehicle does not overheat if there is a short circuit in the vehicle. You can get battery positive voltage from one of the studs in the underhood fuse panel, (you don't have to go all the way over to the battery).

Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Starting Member

CH -> I see what you're saying. Take a small wire from the positive stud at fuse box, and push it into the fuel pump prime stud. That will give 12V straight to the pump and since the pump is grounded it will fire the fuel pressure.

I was thinking you wanted me to add an inline fuse of 20amp to my wire I was making to trigger the priming electrical study. Simple as pie? I'm probably over complicating it!

Gonna try this tomorrow CH!! Lets find this misfire!

Last edited by joejiz; 03-25-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
Default quick question

So the big red wire to the left of the fuse box - assume it's positive wire from battery.

Just take a wire to that and to the fuse prime stud(next to fuse)?

Wanted to triple check.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Blazer 4wd Drive Train Shutter while in OD-feul.jpg   2005 Blazer 4wd Drive Train Shutter while in OD-fuel22.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2005 Blazer 4wd Drive Train Shutter while in OD