2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2005 blazer Purge valve code p0496

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road
Default Answers

Yes it has a small blue o-ring at the base of part. It matches the blue o-ring that was on old device, they looked identical.

I'll let you know next time I do a drive. My friend has a real nice $200 scantool but I don't know how to see if the evap check cycle completely successfully.

I'll take a picture of the scantool and post it.

Shouldn't be hard to see.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Good, the blue O ring is the seal. Make sure that's not your hiss sound.

Should be a menu on the scan tool that says "I/M Readiness" or "Monitor Status", something like that. Post a link to the scan tool, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Starting Member

I can't see why it would be the hiss as it facing down into the plenum face down and the two screws are holding that down super tight. It would have to leak out of the bolt holes or out at the line. Stranger things have happened though and I'm not the expert.

My friend's code reader is this one:

OBD II Code Reader | Canadian Tire

That's nice of you to look into this even further for me! thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

It's an entry level scan tool with limited capabilities. However, in the link, under "Features", the 2nd bullet point says it will check monitor status.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Starting Member

IF you can recommend one for me that puts me one stage better that isn't a full snap on $1000 dollar unit I'd appreciate it. I'm still a hobbyist but would love your opinion and a model that do a bit more. If you have time.

This model has dropped down to $99.

I don't know why I can't get software for my laptop and just get a cable that plugs into car?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM

If you have a decent laptop, short of spending a couple of grand or more, this will do a fine job, at a reasonable price. I know several shop owners that use this as their primary scan tool. It has far more capabilities than any phone app, entry level code reader, or scan tool. Something like a Little League team playing the MLB World Series winner. It does not access everything, but you'll be amazed at what you can see and do with it. It will access: Powertrain Control Module, (engine, transmission & transfer case), Body Control Module, (all lights, horn, door locks, entire instrument cluster, Passlock, etc etc), Electronic Brake Control Module, (Anti Lock Brakes) and network communications. Plus graphing, recording, off-line playback, etc, etc. It will not perform software updates, (need a TechII for that). Gotta be careful with it though, as it does have certain bi-directional capabilities that can get you in trouble if you don't know what you're doing

Scan Tool

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-21-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Starting Member

Wow - thanks Captain Hook for the recommendation!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Starting Member

Hi Captain Hook,

I've been talking with some friends and trying to decide what scan tool to buy. I'm not going to become a mechanic and require the snap on level one. Plus they are pretty expensive. I thought about the laptop one but it's a bit more expensive and too in depth for me. ( I assume )

So I thought my level of scanner that works for me, that has good value, a good manual on how to use. Is a decent price and I can use to help my friends who know less about cars then me.. is this model:

Autel

I have $50 credit at store and it's on sale for $88. This gets me into the game and I know it's not the best but it's light years ahead of the standard kick me a code and erase it ones.

I've read the manual and it does seem have live data read and ability to record. I learned a lot about obd2 reading the manual!!!

I'm gonna go pick this up.

Here is the manual:

http://www.auteltech.com/u/cms/www/2...045959bjux.pdf

I highly doubt it has camshaft retard monitor status, that I will get my apprentice mechanic on my team to bring his snap on for.

Any thoughts? I know it's basic but I'm kinda excited to use it.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM

Autel has a full line, from a pocket reader up to a full function, (limited bi-directional capabilities) scan tool. I have not used one, but I've heard good things about them. The one you're looking at covers Powertrain, (P codes) and classII communication data status, (U codes). As long as you know going in, that it does not access ABS, SRS, IPC or BCM, and you're good with that, go for it.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Captain Hook!

Yup I can only expect so much from anything I pay under $200.

Thanks for your comment. I'm going to have fun learning about the different systems, and some of the values I can record over a certain period of time.

Quick Reply: 2005 blazer Purge valve code p0496