2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

25-30MPH hesitation, not wanting to shift into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road
Default Hesitation at 2500rpm

Okay, this is more of a issue then I originally thought it was. First off, I thought it only hesitated at 25-30mph, but after watching it yesterday and today then again tonight I noticed that it happens at 2500rpm just before shifting into 2nd gear. I use O/D since I was adviced not to use 3rd, 2nd or 1st. The hesitation got worse, it used to just hesitate a little but tonight it practically bucked me out of my seat. Thanks to my seat belt, i was safe.

The guy at AZ still had no codes to tell me bout pertaining to this. It only happens before it shifts into 2nd. So im all kinds of confsed bout it. I orginally thought this was my FF being clogged or dirty but the more I think about it, the more I realize it only began happening after I put gas in it, so maybe the fresh gas pushed some crud from my tank into my filter and clogged it up?? Could there be anything else that would cause this beside my FF??

Last edited by Senshi09; 03-14-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Starting Member

I did a tune-up on it when I got it so my mechanic and myself pretty much ruled out the plugs, wires, cap, rotor. cleaned the throttle body a few months ago (might be in need of cleaning again though, gonna pull it off later today if the rain stops and shoot some carb cleaner down into it. The only thing i haven't changed on it is the fuel filter. DOH!! Im changing that later today after i pick my daughter up from school. Ill also pick up a can of CRC electronics cleaner to clean the maf.

I did the mist thing lastnight ont he wires checked the plugs this morning. Both of which are good to go. So im really hoping its just the fuel filter or the maf sensor needing cleaned. ill post back after i get the filter changed. Hoping it won't be a PITA to get off.

Ive come to the realization its hard to fix things when you have no money

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Starting Member

Went to AZ, it hesitated as I expected, only worse now. Possibly because its raining out. When I left az and started the truck, the SES light was on so like a good neighbor, I asked the guy to run a code on it. Of course, just my luck, it popped up p0300.

im still going to change the ff and clean the maf and TB. My wife is going to kill me....

EDIT--
I just got a idea on what it could possibly be without tearing out my distributer (I dont have the time, tools or money to be doing that anyway) so i was brainstorming and then my brother called me. Told me one of his buddies is having the same problem with his truck. So I started thinking, my olds had the same freaking hesitation/bucking problem when I first got it. I changed the ignition modual, plugs, wires, and coils on it and it fixed it. So im thinking, maybe my coil went bad or is begining to go bad. Cuz if I remember correctly, when I had my olds, i got the p0300 random misfire code and i remember reading in either a magazine or online that random misfire is most likely the coil since it doesn't have a set number like the rest of the plugs. So im going to go get a coil later today and see if that fixes it. If it does AWESOME, if it doesn't then back tot he drawing board and praying it isn't my distributer.

Last edited by Senshi09; 03-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Starting Member
Buck731 is on a distinguished road

Any word as to it being the coil? My 2000 LT is doing the same friggin' thing but won't throw a code...im at a loss right now!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Lancealot is on a distinguished road

It could also be dirty injectors. Try running some Seafoam in the gas, It has worked before for me. Also could be slop in the distributor gear or timing chain. Cheapest first would be the Seafoam. The fact that its worse in rain could be moisture in the distributor cap and rotor, also cheap. It bucked you? That sounds like a sepearate problem with the transmission. A hard, sometimes very hard 1 - 2 shift is common failure, which can be caused by a worn torque converter clutch apply feel valve. If it is a hard shift due to valve leakage it should eventually give you a P1870 code.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Buck731
Any word as to it being the coil? My 2000 LT is doing the same friggin' thing but won't throw a code...im at a loss right now!

I haven't had time to do it yet. It was raining the otherday and i had to go back to work. So im hoping tomorrow night i cvan get to it.

I run the Lucas injector cleaner through my gas each time i fill up. I hope it is not my trans. I definately can't go thru that process right now lol

Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Starting Member

Well, I didn't change my coil.

Heres what I did exactly:
Unbolted the negative battery cable,
walked around to the back of the Blazer
Searched for a distributer wrench in my tool box (I didn't have one, so it was a fail)
Went back to the front of the blazer
Stood there staring at the distributer
Kicked the tire
Cursed at it
Started pulling the first spark plug
yelled wtf now?!?! when I heard my phone ringing
Talked to my brother for an hour
Forgot what I was doing
Hooked the battery back up
Started the truck
Drove it to pick my daughter up from school
Hesitiation was minimal, almost not there
came home watched TV
Went to bed
Woke up next morning
Started truck
went to work
no hesitation
no SES light
no bucking
no power loss
no hard shifts
it ran fine.

So i guess resetting the CPU worked for the moment. Sunday is when im going to change my coil and fuel filter since thats my next day off. but it seems that whatever I did, has worked and I didn't really do much of anything

Last edited by Senshi09; 03-17-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Man!..I wish I had your luck! My 96 Jimmy shifts harsh between 1 and 2 also. Maybe new plugs will fix it...

Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Little Roober
Man!..I wish I had your luck! My 96 Jimmy shifts harsh between 1 and 2 also. Maybe new plugs will fix it...

Have you changed the trans fluid and filter lately? If the filter is dirty or has become "unseated/worked loose" inside the trans then it will shift hard or slip when shifting. Or if you are low on fluid. First check your trans fluid after the vehicle is warmed up, if its full when hot then id suggest change your fluid and filter (if you haven't done it recently.) I always change mine when I change my oil, it makes me feel more "secure" about my trans knowing it has fresh stuff running through it at all times. And it extends the transmissions life, or so ive been told.

If you haven't done a tune up within the last 3000 miles or 6 months (fresh fluids/filters) then maybe it could be time to do that as well.

As for luck, I wish i had luck, but unfortunately I don't. My light came back on lastnight after it started to rain again. And my gut tells me its the same p0300 code as it was before. So im definately changing my coil tomorrow morning after I wake up.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I have checked the fluid, but never replaced it and the filter. How difficult is replacing the two? I've only had the truck for just under 3 months, but I don't know when the last time this stuff was done.

Quick Reply: 25-30MPH hesitation, not wanting to shift into 2nd