2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4.3 vortec to 5.7 vortec

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
SenoritaCustoms is on a distinguished road
Wink 4.3 vortec to 5.7 vortec

Just curious if anyone has done this swap in a 2ND gen, what is required...thanks.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SenoritaCustoms
Just curious if anyone has done this swap in a 2ND gen, what is required...thanks.
https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/...evy-s10-trucks

https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/h...sonoma-504057/

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-09-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Hey, I'm hopefully gonna be doing this swap in the next year or two. The physical aspect of bolting it in is easy enough, what I need help with is the ecu/pcm type stuff. The electronic.

I've read a bunch of stuff for the later second gens, but mine being a 95, I'm not sure how much crosses over. I want the stock dash guages to work with the 5.7L

Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Hey, I'm hopefully gonna be doing this swap in the next year or two. The physical aspect of bolting it in is easy enough, what I need help with is the ecu/pcm type stuff. The electronic.

I've read a bunch of stuff for the later second gens, but mine being a 95, I'm not sure how much crosses over. I want the stock dash guages to work with the 5.7L
I don't know this for fact but It is my understanding that the 1995 fuel injection PCM and other controls is sufficiently different to the point where it could not be easily adapted to drive the later fuel injection system on the late 90's Vortec V8s. If you just want to run a carb and have the gauges and transmission still working, I believe that is much easier.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LesMyer
I don't know this for fact but It is my understanding that the 1995 fuel injection PCM and other controls is sufficiently different to the point where it could not be easily adapted to drive the later fuel injection system on the late 90's Vortec V8s. If you just want to run a carb and have the gauges and transmission still working, I believe that is much easier.
Man, always something with those 95s is screwy. I'm really wanting to keep fuel injection.

What about using the computer from the donor truck? Could it be made to work with the stock dash guages? I have an automatic, also. Not sure if there would be issues there.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

From what I've found, forged pistons +a supercharger is a nifty option too.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

I'd have to read up on the nuances of the 95/96 bodies incorporating the 5.7 but I'm sure it's been done before. I'd do my best to keep fuel injection if I were you just for the sake of drivability. You'll get better throttle response and mileage as a result. You won't get the HP you would with the LS style engines but it's much cheaper to do and easier. It also makes a difference what youj're starting with. It's easier to incorporate a v6 harness than to start with a 4 cylinder model. Another thing you'll want to think about is the ECM. The Vortec 5.7 can be ran with the black box but the 0411 used in the later model stuff would definitely be a step up. They offer greater tuneability and the ability to run electric fans if you go that route. There are also differences if you are starting with a 4x4 versus 2wd. Then there's the ZR2 model that's different also.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Man, always something with those 95s is screwy. I'm really wanting to keep fuel injection.

What about using the computer from the donor truck? Could it be made to work with the stock dash guages? I have an automatic, also. Not sure if there would be issues there.
What makes it a nice swap on the 1996 up Blazers, is that the fuel injection systems are almost identical and you can use the wiring harness/PCM from the original vehicle. You have to add the extra two wires for the injectors from the PCM and other than that, as I understand it's just some minor programming. Accessories bolt on the front of the motor the same so that is simplified. Gotta deal with the motor being further forward, but you just mount the radiator in the "forward" position per the swap book.

But in 1995, the fuel injection for V6 Vin W motors was quite different. Used a single injector. Because there are other significant differences between the donor vehicle and recipient, this makes using the later wiring and PCM more problematic. Not necessarily for running the engine, but for hooking up to and running the rest of the vehicle. It could probably be done, but I wouldn't want to attempt it myself.

If you want to attempt this swap, much better I think to buy a 1998+ Blazer with a shelled V6 and the later PCM to put it in. Nice ones are a dime a dozen on Craig's List and you can even pass emissions if the engine is the right year.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-10-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
BF Veteran

Man, don't really want to buy a new truck. Would it be possible to use the donor trucks ecu, or is it impossible to somehow splice into the factory harness? I want to swap in a 5 speed, so that would take the transmission out of the equation.

Emissions aren't really an issue, my truck is turning 25 next year, so this year is the last time I'll need to have it inspected. Safety only from here on out

Old 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Man, don't really want to buy a new truck.
LOL I do. My Blazer is a daily driver. I cannot afford dropping/swapping the engine, add a supercharger, upgrade transmission... I wish to have one Blazer extra! I recently passed an occasion to get a running ZR2 for $2k, and now I really regret it.

Quick Reply: 4.3 vortec to 5.7 vortec