2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4wd is a pain help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011 | 02:17 PM
|
03blaze is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd is a pain help please

So I have An 03 blazer ls 2 door And the 4wd is currently not working. The in dash buttons are working I press either 4H or 4Lo it blinks then I hear the tccm click and the motor on the transfer case move but I don't get power to my front wheels so I pulled the battery And battery tray assuming the vacuum swith was at fault I engage 4wd and to my surprise the diaphragm works holds vacuum and pulls the cable. So then I got back to the tccm and see the wires are corroded and I did the best I could to clean them and then reinstalled it picked a snowy hill and threw it in 4wd and tried it still not getting power to the front wheels although sometimes I'll get lucky and have power to the front wheels and as if to sense my excitement it clunked and boom no 4wd haha And now there's a snowstorm said to hit Tuesday and I'm without 4wd could someone please give me some suggestions thank you

Old 01-09-2011 | 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the cable pulls in half to three quarters of an inch and you still do not have power to the front wheels, you could either have a problem with the engagement collar inside the front axle or a problem inside the transfer case (stretched chain, bad sprocket, etc).

Old 01-09-2011 | 03:42 PM
|

That's not good news..hmm that would mean I'm probably goin to need a new transfer case then correct?

Old 01-09-2011 | 03:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That depends on where the problem lies.

Old 01-09-2011 | 03:57 PM
|

Could the engagement collar be an intermttent problem? Because yesterday I put it in 4lo and it engaged and worked flicked it to 4hi and was flinging snow from all 4 wheels then stuck it in 2 hi and tried to re engage 4hi and lo and it didn't work

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:09 AM
|
Default 4wd problem update

So i was reading more on the transfer case and i was told to put it in two high in neutral and try to spin the front driveshaft. I did this and it spun (good thing). Then i put it in 4hi in Neutral and try to spin it so i did this and it didnt spin(good thing again) Now my question is where could the problem lie from here since the encoder moder engaged 4wd in the transfer case whats next??

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:31 AM
Administrator

*Merging Threads* - Please do not create a new thread when you already have an active thread open concerning your current troubles.

The next step would be to have it locked into 4wd and lift the front end off the ground. If you spin one front wheel, the other wheel should rotate opposite that wheel. If it does, then the front axle is locked in and the reason the front driveshaft did not spin is because the transfer case is screwed up inside. If the other wheel doesn't spin, then the front axle isn't locked in and the problem is inside the front axle.

Old 01-12-2011 | 05:24 PM
|

I was out messing around with my vehicle today and engaged 4wd it worked the front driveshaft spun and the front wheels spun then I disengaged it and reengaged it and everything clicked and the encoder motor did it's thing but the front driveshaft wasn't spinning could this be a problem with the encoder motor? Because obviously the transfer case when actually getting engaged is working well.

Old 01-12-2011 | 06:21 PM
Administrator

It is very possible that it is the encoder motor.

Old 01-12-2011 | 08:25 PM
|

If I pull it out is there any way of visually confirming that it's bad?

Quick Reply: 4wd is a pain help please