2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 Front Axle Diagram Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 07:45 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 Front Axle Diagram Needed

Updated:
Looking for instructions on how to orientate the right side gear thrust washer; this washer goes between the differential case and the right side output shaft. It has two cutouts/notches on the outside perimeter. Of course when I removed the right side axle tube, the output shaft came part way out pulling this thrust washer with it....so I lost the orientation of it.
Need a shop manual or something that details how this thrust washer is supposed to go.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LannyL81; 10-21-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:43 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Looking for an exploded view of the 4x4 front axle engagement components...something that shows all the pieces and orientation of the washers, especially the large one with the notches. Also an explanation of what the orientation of this washer washer is supposed to do. There are two notches or cutouts so this washer fits in about five different orientations within the differential housing.

Appreciate any insight on this.
I think Reway had a lot of photos when he had his out. You could search his posts for when he did his axle seal. Also there are a couple of threads in the tech section that have the exploded views. Good luck and best wishes for a successful repair.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you might need more than a diagram and instead instructions from s shop manual.

What year is your Blazer? I have the service manuals for my 99. I can try to find the instructions and diagrams, but I'm traveling so I won't be able to scan anything for at least a day or so.

Another option is that some of the online GM parts sellers have nice exploded diagrams for part identification. You might try one of them. I like using the ones that allow me to enter my VIN so that the parts are correct.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:50 AM

LES: I searched for reway but did not find what I was looking for.
Christine: yes a shop manual would be wonderful.

I have edited my initial posting to explain in more details what it is I am looking for.

Last edited by LannyL81; 10-21-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran

I have edited my initial posting to explain in more details what it is I am looking for.
Send a DM in a day or so to remind me if I haven't posted anything yet.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:00 PM

Sounds exactly what Reway experienced. I'll look for the post. If nothing else, you could ask him. I remember seeing a photo where he had all the parts laying out on a white towel.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:23 PM

Post 206 here. But I also think there was a thread where we had lots of discussion and a photo of a smashed washer (the one that falls out and didn't go back in right.). He figured it out somehow. PM him. https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/05-blue-blazer-build-103801/page21​​​​

Old 10-21-2023, 09:13 PM

Here it is. Starts post 24 and washer orientation is dealt with in #45 and photos in #49
https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...-105676/page5/

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-21-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the links Les.....unfortunely reway's only comment regarding the large thrust washer was to put it back the way it was....no details at all on the orientation. Also just for the record, the youtube video that was referenced in his posting by Terence The DIY'er....he has one thrust washer orientation incorrect according to another youtube video where the guy said that he put it wrong the first time (the way Terence did) and it chewed-up the washer.

Anyways....I tried the large thrust washer in all orientations and just put it in the one that looked the best. How's that for completely no basis!!....LOL

My Blazer is all back together now. I tested the right side axle engagement by using a hand vacuum pump and it worked fine. No test drive yet as I do need to get a new U-joint for the front driveshaft.....knocked off one of the caps and lost a needle bearing...actually two....found one of them. Going to attach the front driveshaft to the front diff tomorrow...will replace the U-joint at a later date.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran

OK. So I've done some digging but I need confirmation of what parts we are discussing.

First off, can you identify the thrust washer to which you are referring in the diagram below? From your description, I think it is #24 but it could #8 or #10. (https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...t/06/tt06-100/) As it turns out, these three come in the same washer kit with part number 26033623.

This is a picture of the washer kit 26033623. Are the washers with the teeth the ones to which you are referring? (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-26033623)

Finally, can you identify the part numbers for the parts you removed? This will help me find the correct parts in my manual. Unfortunately, the way it is organized, it is not obvious to me which pages you will need, otherwise we are looking at scanning 50 pages!

Quick Reply: 4x4 Front Axle Diagram Needed