2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 help asap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 PM
ShawnGMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 help asap!!!!

okay this is really making me want to say screw it and slap a forsale sign on my truck. I didnt have 4x4 for the longest time, actuator needed to be replaced so i replaced it, now before that months and months ago (when it worked) i suddenly got a CLINKING noise in 4x4, going at low speeds and especially turning for some reason.. then i switched it back into 2hi, and it makes the same sound but very rarely. Now, what is wrong now? what should i check? Is it still partially engaged or what?

note: if i put it in 4x4 and then in 2 hi it will make the noise BUT if i leave my truck for a few hours not running just sitting there, on my drive home it will NOT make the sound unless i put it in 4x4 again. But if its in 4x4 the sound is very noticeable. In 2hi you can only hear it during braking and accelerating.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 help asap!!!!

Clicking usually means a CV joint is going bad. It could only do it when being driven (ie 4x4), but only spuratically when in 2HI.

Try this. With the engine running and transfer case in 4HI, jack up one of the front corners, leaving the other three wheels on the ground. Now, grab the tire and rapidly turn it back and forth. Do you hear the same noise? Can you pinpoint it?

It could be the front driveshaft though as it has a CV style joint in it as well and can cause the same noise while in 4wd. It may be causing the noise when switching back to 2HI as well if the front axle is taking a bit to disengage (sticking cable).

Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 PM

is there any way of freeing that cable up? and i've taken the driveshaft out before and the cv joint on it is pretty ****ty, but like i said the front cv joins are fine because i took the driveshaft out once before and drove it and no sound at all. Is there any difference between the front driveshafts in theses trucks compared to another one? Mine is a 4 door with auto 4wd, can i take a driveshaft from a 2door no auto 4x4?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC, the driveshaft in the front of your truck is exclusive to the AWD and Auto4wd trucks. If you are going to replace it, bite the bullet and replace it with a new one.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 PM

well before i replace it some of my buddies have a truck like mine except no auto4x4, so id like to slide theres in my truck before i spend the cash and buy a new one that doesnt fix my problem

Old 11-27-2008, 11:47 AM

heres a video clip, u can hear it very well nearing the end of the clip around 42 sec mark.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Fixed tags. The forum software does not understand tags in CAPS.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member
doodad69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought - on the auto4wd, the driveshaft between the tcase and the front dif is always turning 2 or 4wd, right? Sure, without being in 4wd there is less load on it, but there would still be some drag right? I'd really look at your front end before finalizing your conclusion that it is related to just the driveshaft.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 PM

well it does make the sound in 2hi as well, but when i dont have my drive shaft in my truck, it makes NO SOUND. But as soon as its put back in it, it makes the sound again

Old 11-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: doodad69

Just a thought - on the auto4wd, the driveshaft between the tcase and the front dif is always turning 2 or 4wd, right?
No, in 2HI, the front driveshaft is disengaged in the transfer case. Also, the front axle is disengaged which should result in a stationary front driveshaft.

When in A4wd, the front driveshaft will be engaged, but the front axle will not until it is necessary.

About the noise, it sounds like the front axle is not engaging completely. Either that, or you have some busted gears in the front diff..

Old 11-28-2008, 08:50 AM

how can i test to see if its fully engaging? And if i had some busted gears in my front diff, wouldnt it make the sound all the time no matter what the speed is? Cause it does it in 2hi just when i start to move and start to slow down (SOMETIMES), but in 4hi it does it louder but the faster you go, the sound goes away. And why does it make the sound louder when i turn?

Quick Reply: 4x4 help asap!!!!