2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer runs crappy

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Beginning Member
wolfsnack is on a distinguished road
Angry 95 Blazer runs crappy

OK... crappy isn't a great description. I have been going through one thing after another. Replaced plugs, dist cap, rotor and wires, fuel filter as well. My 4.3 starts fine, idles only slightly rough..about 1/4 throttle and it misses badly...open wide and it smooths out. I had my local shop scan it and the sensors all checked out OK. I tested the fuel pressure and am getting a bit over 55 psi. So, next thing will be looking inside the plenum. I am starting to think the fuel pressure regulator or spider.

Any thoughts? I confess that I am rather a newbie with these new fangled CMFI systems...I have always been a carburetor kind of guy. I have spent hours digging through the forum posts and haven't found a description that sounds like my problem.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
mh86334 is on a distinguished road

If you really think its a fuel problem, and it could very well be just that, go through the fuel system diagnostic sticky...55psi, is that when you turn the key on? Its a little low...what does fuel pressure do while its running?
I had sort of a similar issue, and it turned out to be a crankshaft position sensor throwing timing off, but if you have had it checked it could be fuel. How did your spark plugs look? Have you cleaned your IAC or MAF sensor? Might be worth pulling your EGR valve and cleaning that up too...somplace to start anyway!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did the fuel pressure bleed off? If so, the most likely culprit is the FPR.

If it holds steady, I would look elsewhere. Check the MAP sensor for proper operation per the procedure below:

MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP) SENSOR
  1. MAP sensor circuit malfunction should set a related code in ECM/PCM/VCM memory. If a code is present, proceed to the TESTS W/CODES - 4.3L article. An out-of-calibration sensor may not set a trouble code. Use following procedure to test sensor calibration. If driveability problems exist, MAP sensor failure is suspected and no MAP code is present, disconnect MAP sensor connector. If driveability condition improves, check MAP vacuum hose for splits, kinks, proper routing and blockage. If no problems are found, replace MAP sensor.
  2. With ignition on and engine off, check MAP sensor parameter using a scan tester connected to Data Link Connector (DLC). Voltage should be as specified in MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE RANGE.
  3. If MAP sensor voltage is as specified, go to next step. If voltage is not as specified, check for 5-volt reference supplied to sensor. Check harness integrity. If no problems are evident, replace MAP sensor.
  4. Using a hand-held vacuum pump, apply 10 in. Hg to MAP sensor and note voltage change. Voltage should drop to about 1.0-2.5 volts less than specified in table. If voltage is not as specified or voltage reading does not immediately follow vacuum change, MAP sensor is faulty.

MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE RANGE
Altitude(ft) Range(V)
Below 1000 3.8-5.5
1000-2000 3.6-5.3
2000-3000 3.5-5.1
3000-4000 3.3-5.0
4000-5000 3.2-4.8
5000-6000 3.0-4.6
6000-7000 2.9-4.5
7000-8000 2.8-4.3
8000-9000 2.6-4.2
9000-10,000 2.5-4.0

Old 11-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member

Further to my post....OK, I have the plenum cover removed and surprise surprise...it looks just like the photo posted somewhere on this forum. Nice clean and goldish colour on the passenger side and carbon on the driver side. Now,a beer and I shall pressure it up and see what leak shows up.

I think that I managed to insert a photo....after about a half hour the fuel pressure dropped to 40 psi

Attached Thumbnails 95 Blazer runs crappy-img_8157.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't look all that bad. Typically you can see fresh aluminum where the leak is and there would be pooled fuel in the lower portions of the manifold.

Let us know if you see a leak if you pressurize the system with the plenum off.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Also make sure the EGR valve gasket is on correctly, aligned and all that. This will cause rough idle, rough running a low speeds and then fine at highway speeds. Just wonder how I know this!!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member

Well...got it all back together and ran perfect...no happy dance though. Headed to work this morning and barely got a block. Back to missing badly and jerking....got home and it died in the driveway, then stalled and would not start. Managed to push it to the side of the road and take the spare car. I have replaced distributor, rotor, wires, plugs, checked fuel pressure (60 lbs), replaced the plenum cover gasket, checked EGR and replaced that gasket. It fired up and ran beautifully yesterdaym drove all over town for a couple of hours. This morning, back to the same old crappy running. So...I suppose I need to go over the crank/cam position sensors and MAP sensor. Where are they on a 95 4.3? I am waiting for a code reader I ordered to arrive. I can take it to a shop, but they all want $65+ to read the codes, and $114.00 at the dealer to update them. Everything has a price tag these days....the mechanic (sorry technician) farts and another $50 goes on the bill.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

I almost gurantee it's that EGR vlave pintle sticking and carboned up.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Beginning Member
81Z4ME is on a distinguished road

My 95 did that every so often and it was a piece of carbon stuck in the EGR valve but it also lit up the service engine soon light. If the EGR valve is partially open its getting too much "preburned" air/gas to idle right but at some point the EGR valve opens on up and the engine is then getting the right amount of already burned air.

May not be your problem, just thought I'd mention it.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The '95 does not have a crank position sensor.

I still say it is the EGR valve....piece of carbon holding it open when it should be shut. My 95 did this a couple of times.

Quick Reply: 95 Blazer runs crappy