2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:04 PM
tablerock4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 95 Blazer Won't Start

Thanks for your detailed response. I never considered the starter due to the fact that it turns the motor over really fast...maybe your on to something.

I looked in the Haynes manual and found that I have a Central Multiport Fuel Injection (CMFI) system. Also the 'key on - engine not running' pressure should be approximately 58 to 64 psi. My tests produced 56 and 57 psi. I think the pump may be on its way out like you say.

I'm wondering if I should replace the pump and regulator? Any tips you have on this maintenance action are welcome!

Thanks again

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:50 PM
Starting Member
Sterling is an unknown quantity at this point

pump and regulator should be fine, only reason you would be replacing the regulator is if you were losing pressure. When mine went bad my pressure would go to 58psi, then rapidly drop over the next 15 seconds until it got to about 15psi.

Are you sure its turning? when my starter went out i could have sworn that it was cranking but it was only making the sound and not actually doing it.

Old 06-04-2008 | 10:55 AM
jzoz01 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Sterling

Are you sure its turning? when my starter went out i could have sworn that it was cranking but it was only making the sound and not actually doing it.
Is there anyway to test the starter? It sounds like mine turns over fine as well, but I never considered the fact that it could just be making the sound.

Old 06-04-2008 | 11:28 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: tablerock4

I looked in the Haynes manual and found that I have a Central Multiport Fuel Injection (CMFI) system. Also the 'key on - engine not running' pressure should be approximately 58 to 64 psi. My tests produced 56 and 57 psi. I think the pump may be on its way out like you say.

I'm wondering if I should replace the pump and regulator? Any tips you have on this maintenance action are welcome!

Thanks again
You can actually isolate the pump and the regulator during the pressure test. If you disconnect the fuel line at the filter, and then connect the fuel pressure gauge at that point, it eliminates the regulator from the equation. But I've also heard on this forum that when the regulator dies, there's a constant strong fuel smell coming from the intake. If you're not having that, then it's probably okay. I personally wouldn't replace both unless I knew both were gone.

BTW, your intake is the same as mine, and thanks for correcting me on the right pressure range (I was trying to get it from memory). But anyway, my pressure dipped below 46psi before it completely failed to start, even with help from starter fluid. After replacing, my pressure is right around 60 and starts right up.

ORIGINAL: jzoz01

Is there anyway to test the starter? It sounds like mine turns over fine as well, but I never considered the fact that it could just be making the sound.
Scroll up. In my previous post, I said that the Haynes manual tells you exactly how to test the starter. It's a little complicated, so rather than do that, I just eliminated everything else before deciding to replace it. At that time, my fuel pressure was fine. Little did I know that the pump would die just a few weeks later. LOL

When the ignition switch dies, it affects multiple electrical systems on the dash. You'll know when this happens. When there's a problem with the spark plugs/wires/distributor, it will usually throw a P300-306 code and the SES light will come on. You'll also want to have your battery voltage checked, to make sure that's also not the problem. I ended up replacing mine anyway because the bad starter drained it.

Old 06-05-2008 | 02:08 PM
tablerock4 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I'm replacing the fuel pump right now and will post the pressure results when I have them.

I visually inspected the engine turning over at a pretty good click. No worries on the pressure range, your post caused me to actually look in the book...what a concept, thanks. My pressure was 56-57 psi and would start with starter fluid to the air filter compartment. I'm thinking it's the pump and I hope I get 60+ psi when I check it.

Just a note: The fuel filler and vent rubber hoses that mount directly to the tank were cemented on and I couldn't get them off. I finally cut them off. Auto Zone didn't carry the stuff, Schucks would only sell me a yard for 60 bucks (ouch) but Napa carried the stuff in stock and cut me off what I needed for just over 7 bucks!

Old 06-05-2008 | 02:19 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, mine was the same way. I meant to mention that. I think cutting the hoses is pretty much something that has to be done. The hosesare not that expensive; it`s just that you have to make sure they don`t sell you the wrong type, `cause a lot of stores will.

Old 06-07-2008 | 09:06 PM
NoPantsAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the exact same problem with my 1997 Blazer. Looking forward to hearing the results of your pump replacement because im hoping to do the same next week. And crossing my fingers that it will fix it.

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:34 PM
tomalotuyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!!! wow at least i found people who understand me =) I have the same problem: my Blazer runs pretty fine, idle is good and it goes well (no backfiring, loss of power...), but time to time it just won't start =S is like it runs out of fuel or no power to the sparks. We checked for any OBD error code, it has none of it (we checked it while the Blazer was ok, and with the no-starting problem). We thought it was a fuel pump with no pressure: wrong, it has 57psi, and it won't go down when powering off the engine (still I think we should change it... we already bought one in that moment =D)

Starter is cool... in fact it start pretty good. Regulator is good too. We checked spark plugs when it didn't start: they were ok, good spark, so it isn't an electrical problem in the distribuitor.

It happens mostly afternights, in the mornings... I'm guessing a bad sensor (but why OBD don't show any error?), a defective gas pump (it's not an original pump, we changed in a emergency while vacations 2-3 years ago) or a problem with the injectors. But this last thing is strange, because when it starts it runs pretty well.

I'm looking foward to read the results, so tablerock you have some fans waiting hahahahahahaha

PS: that problem started after changing fuel pump, it won't start once every several months, then once every two months, once a month... now it won't start 2-3 times a week =S hell!! i can't go out all night long with that suv just afraid of it won't start in the middle of nowhere at 3am =D

Thanks to all!!

Old 11-26-2008 | 10:44 AM
photographer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue with mine. Found out that it is a known issue but cause is unknown so no fix. There is a work around tho. Disconnect both battery cables for 1 minute. After reconnecting turn ignition on and off 4 times, do not try to start, then on the 5th time start it. This works for me everytime. For the unknown reason the computer will not send the 5volt signal to the injector pod, and doing this resets it.