2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Engine Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Starting Member
klote82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 Engine Replacement Questions

Whatup yall, been awhile since ive been on here. So my 95 is a beast and is still running fairly strong. I just passed 284K but problems are starting to pop-up here and there. Im sure this question has been asked before but is it worth putting a newer blazer motor in mine?

How much of it is direct connected, is it a pain to do? Does the electrical line up? OR do I need to just look for a 95-97 year blazer? Is rebuilding my current motor a better option?

I have two cylinders that have lost some compression over the last 3/4 years by the way.

I plan on getting a new car hopefully in the next two years I just want to do something temporary to keep it running.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to swap motors, you'll need a replacement motor from another '95 with the same PCM and ignition system setup as yours for it to be a direct drop in. There were three different PCM setups and two different ignition setups for the Blazer in 1995. '96 was the first year for the SCFI engine which would not work too well in your truck without a lot of changes.

I would give a go at a rebuild before I would try and find a replacement.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Starting Member

ok great that pretty much sums it up then on what i need to do. If you dont mind, could you list the engine components that need to be replaced for a typical rebuild?

I have done most of the work on my truck but this is a little over my head..

Thanks for the help swart!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For a typical rebuild, I would change the rod/main bearings, rings, hone the cylinders (provided the ridge at the top of the cylinder is not that bad), and at the very least re-lap the valves. The heads should be checked for flatness as well. It goes without saying that you'd be replacing pretty much all of the gaskets.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Starting Member

right on man thanks for the info, off the top of your head whats the cost for something like that?

Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Administrator

CLICK HERE for some rebuild kits. The Sealed Power kit includes a new cam/lifters which wouldn't be absolutely necessary especially if yours doesn't appear to be worn hard.

I did forget to mention a new timing set, but again, that's one of those things that gets replaced pretty much whenever you get in there in my book.

Then you have some potential machine time on the head if it is warped.